California to north GA in the winter in a 120? Am I nuts?

Need to ensure the plane has proper weight oil for the trip! When I bought my plane, it had W100 oil in it, a single 50 weight oil. That would never work in the extreme cold. Also make sure to properly warm the engine every morning. Lycoming recommends preheating below 20 degrees to avoid damage (usually piston rings). Ensure your oil temp is green before applying full power...

I replied in your “go bag” thread not realizing this was your flight. I’ve never flown a trip of that length but I would treat it the same as a day trip. Follow the interstates all the way. No need for water purification tabs or the rest of it. Use flight following. Bring water and snacks and the down jacket and mitts and a hat. Stuff to keep warm while the state troopers are called to your location if needed.

Sounds like an awesome adventure. You should create a blog thread if this goes through with updates and pics. I’m sure PoA would be happy to follow along and offer localized help/guidance along the way ... asked for or not! :D

I did this trip the other way last summer.

When I do it again, I will bring oxygen. It opens up a lot of options for getting above turbulent air and finding tailwinds.

Bring a personal locator, I used a Garmin InReach.

Keep your legs and days manageable. I planned for mostly 2 2.5-3 hour legs a day, with one 3 leg day. (Keeping in mind that I was a <150 hour pilot) On the 3 leg day I was exhausted after 2 and I came terrifying close to trying to fly the 3rd leg when I was not fit to. Hotel rooms are cheaper than insurance claims.

Last, have a plan to walk away. You don't know the history of this plane, and even if you do, things can go wrong any time.

I don't know your experience, and none of this may be new. But the last 2 are things I wish I had spent more time thinking about before I left on my trip.

Back