California security incidents

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
There are two things going on:

1. At Long Beach airport, a man breached security and managed to run out onto the tarmac. They are not allowing any aircraft to leave, though landings are going on.

2. At the El Monte Metrolink station, several suspicious packages have been found.

They've reopened the airport in Long Beach, and arrested one person.

Looks like the suspicious packages in El Monte were just luggage left from the night before, when rail passengers were forced off the train due to electrical failures in passenger cars.

Sorry to have wasted your time - two in the area looked like a pattern to me.

MSmith said:
Looks like the suspicious packages in El Monte were just luggage left from the night before, when rail passengers were forced off the train due to electrical failures in passenger cars.

Sorry to have wasted your time - two in the area looked like a pattern to me.

Ya never know...
It's never a waste of time keeping ones eyes open!

Now if the airlines could just do the simple things, like fly on time and not lose luggage. :mad:

I was supposed to fly Alaska from SEA to LAX and catch SG to SIN and then to PEN. Alaska was running late enough so that I wouldn't make my flight at LAX. So they changed my itinerary to SEA to SFO, SG to Hong Kong and then Cathy Pacific to PEN. I was supposed to get my bag in SFO and check it in with SG. No luck. Bag didn't make it to SFO. Guess I'll check with Singapore Airlines at Penang when I get there. 12 days of clothes in that bag. I know, I should use a carry on, but I have two carry on bags with me already and I haven't seen one that will carry what I need on a long trip.

Grumble, grumble...

Ghery said:
Now if the airlines could just do the simple things, like fly on time and not lose luggage. :mad:

I was supposed to fly Alaska from SEA to LAX and catch SG to SIN and then to PEN. Alaska was running late enough so that I wouldn't make my flight at LAX. So they changed my itinerary to SEA to SFO, SG to Hong Kong and then Cathy Pacific to PEN. I was supposed to get my bag in SFO and check it in with SG. No luck. Bag didn't make it to SFO. Guess I'll check with Singapore Airlines at Penang when I get there. 12 days of clothes in that bag. I know, I should use a carry on, but I have two carry on bags with me already and I haven't seen one that will carry what I need on a long trip.

Grumble, grumble...

Even on the long trips I am still doing carry on and then will clean clothes at the hotel. I hope your bag finds you!!!

Sorry, Ghery, but you had better kiss that bag g'bye ...

"Suspicious bag left at terminal blown up by ATF"

just kidding (I hope)

Ghery said:

Grumble, grumble...

Not to worry too much, you're gonna be in Asia.
Their tailors can have you measured for a dozen shirts & pants and probably have you wearing the first set before the airline can tell you where you're luggage isn't! (and at a third or less of the cost in USA)

Dave Krall CFII said:
Not to worry too much, you're gonna be in Asia.
Their tailors can have you measured for a dozen shirts & pants and probably have you wearing the first set before the airline can tell you where you're luggage isn't! (and at a third or less of the cost in USA)

A couple fo years back a bunch of us were in Seoul and taking the KAL limo from Inchon to our hotel. The bagage guy unloaded a woman in our group bag. When we got to our hotel no bag. It took 3 days for them to find which hotel it had gotten to. In the mean time of to the taylor she went and got 4 new suits courtesy of the hotel staff. The first suit took 3 hours and the rest were delivered the next day.

I have several suits form Korea and it is amazing how fast they make them and the quality is very good too.

Well, when I got into Penang last night there was no bag. No surprise. However, the baggage agent checked his computer and found that it was scheduled to arrive this morning. It is supposed to have been deliverd to my hotel during the day. It's now a touch after 5:30 in the afternoon and I sure hope that bag is there when I get back. I NEED A SHAVE! Not to mention some clean clothes.

Ghery said:
Well, when I got into Penang last night there was no bag. No surprise. However, the baggage agent checked his computer and found that it was scheduled to arrive this morning. It is supposed to have been deliverd to my hotel during the day. It's now a touch after 5:30 in the afternoon and I sure hope that bag is there when I get back. I NEED A SHAVE! Not to mention some clean clothes.
Ghery, whatsamatta, you can't find one Malay barber to give you the full package for a couple of clams? They'd probably arrange for the tailor to come to you.

Richard said:
Ghery, whatsamatta, you can't find one Malay barber to give you the full package for a couple of clams? They'd probably arrange for the tailor to come to you.

Free time, that's what you need to do that. My employer gets its moneys worth when I travel and I've been running constantly. The good news is that my bag made it to the hotel last night (local time) and I'm getting ready for a meeting with a fresh shave and clean clothes. All is well with the world again. :D

Ghery said:
Free time, that's what you need to do that. My employer gets its moneys worth when I travel and I've been running constantly. The good news is that my bag made it to the hotel last night (local time) and I'm getting ready for a meeting with a fresh shave and clean clothes. All is well with the world again. :D
Whew, that was close! You made it sound like a new version of the butterfly theory: if Ghery doesn't get a shave in Malaysia will it snow in Florida? Glad all is right again.

I would have thought a frequent flyer senior exec would have hotel concierge on speed dial.:yes:

Richard said:
I would have thought a frequent flyer senior exec would have hotel concierge on speed dial.:yes:

If I were a senior exec... Just an individual contributor who spends too much time in airline seats. :D And in all the years I've been flying commerically, this is only the second time my bag didn't make it to my destination with me, and it has happened one other time to my wife (last October, but her flight into Singapore was late and she had 20 minutes to make her connecting flight. She did, the bag didn't. It arrived in Cape Town 2 days later on the next flight.) So, I guess I can't complain too loudly.

Ghery said:
If I were a senior exec... Just an individual contributor who spends too much time in airline seats. :D And in all the years I've been flying commerically, this is only the second time my bag didn't make it to my destination with me, and it has happened one other time to my wife (last October, but her flight into Singapore was late and she had 20 minutes to make her connecting flight. She did, the bag didn't. It arrived in Cape Town 2 days later on the next flight.) So, I guess I can't complain too loudly.
Oh, is this thread going to morph into a lost luggage thread? I think so.

Time: 1968. My Mom hadn't seen my father in 18 months. She hopped Pan-Am to Tokio to join him for 2 weeks R&R. She made it but her luggage didn't. OK, fine, they went and bought all new clothes and matched set of hard case luggage. Two weeks later her return flight: mom made it home but her luggage wound up in Spain! Never seen again.

My daughter in her junior year of college traveled to Madagascar, France, & Ireland for her year of study abroad. While in Mad her luggage for a 4 month stay arrived bit by bit. She got to experience some of the poverty she had gone to study. Most of her luggage arrived in Mad while she was outbound for France, some was diverted to South Africa due to late season cyclone. All of it caught up to her during her 3rd month in Ireland almost 9 months after she orginally left the states.

My poor sister. I talked her into joining my wife for a fun long wknd on Long Is. at my daughter's home. My sis who lives in Phoenix left work early to catch her flight. She turned around to head home for a forgotten item. Back on the road to the airport a bridge had fallen across the road blocking all traffic. She missed her flight which was a connecting flight for my wife. 6 hour wait for the next flight to JFK. She called me several times for moral support and I insisted it will get better so she should continue with her travels. She finally boards, uneventful flight until they divert to DFW for wx and subsequent mx problem. Almost 24 hours after leaving her work my sis arrives at JFK only to be taken for an expensive ride by a shady taxi driver. My wife, daughter, and friends had already left for the big gala dinner which was the highlight of the wknd and could not be reached. Her luggage was still in Dallas but arrived JFK after my sis had returned home. Not fun and I'm the one who talked her into taking a break from work.

My experience was the fault of an ignorant young buck. I was traveling home to CA after visiting my grand parents, aunts, uncles, and nieces in Michigan. I had one of my father's old duffels and had loaded it with Blitz beer. It was so heavy I could barely carry it. I checked it and never saw it again. I also had checked a 30-30 and side by side octogan barrel shotgun, at least the guns made it.

Last edited:
Back