California fires

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Are wreaking havoc all over the lower & mid state. But check out where the smoke is traveling. Last night, the moon was a light orange in Colorado. And on the east side of Denver, can't even see the beginning of the foothills which are only 25 miles away

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/aq

often in the summertime, in the midwest, the trainers would build up a thin layer of soot on the leading edges, and the skies would be hazy for weeks while california does its annual burn.

Sorry 'bout that

We generally try to be courteous and not light up when people are downwind, but it seems that the new generation just doesn't know their manners.

BTW, I'm about 30-35 miles West of the Station fire, and the have unlimited visibility for about a 270 degree panorama, and a spectacular view of the plume for the other 90 degrees.
________
NS400R

Last edited:
watched the red sunset in CO last night and smelled the smoke this morning ... good luck to you, CA.

Yesterday HDN was reporting 3mi vis in haze. The haze was smoke. It was unbelievably thick yesterday. Thank goodness it has let up a bit today.

Everyone in california needs to be required to have fire extinguishers. How much more do they have left to burn there? Haven't they burned everything combustable in the entire state yet or are they importing flammable materials now?

I thought it was just smog and upslope packing it all into this area.
In west Denver, the moon was yellow last night. I always leave all my windows and roof vents open at night during the summer. I think I was breathing a bit too much of that all night and probably most of monday too before I closed everything up. Nasty stuff.

Before sunrise this morning the foothills 3 miles away were very hazy and the terrain 6-7 miles away was gone.

I took these pics yesterday from about 40 sm southeast of the fire north of Los Angeles. The sky was otherwise cloudless. Until lastnight the satellite image was showing the smoke streaming to the NNE. This morning the smoke is a high OVC over the coastline. In Newport Beach there is a smell of smoke. And the OAT is pegged at hot. I think there is an inversion formed.

Attachments

• Clouds 124.jpg
    Clouds 124.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • Clouds 128.jpg
    Clouds 128.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
We had a very hazy smokey weekend for soaring. It was really bad on Monday.
LAS ILS to Rwy 25L looking into the setting sun is an IFR adventure.
Red Sunsets and Red Sunrises. Even now sitting here I can smell the smoke.
Normally we can see the hills (mountains) 10 miles away. But not right now.

Was flying commercial from IAH to DEN on Tuesday morning... flight was ground stopped for 1.5 hrs, supposedly due to poor vis in DEN. When I did arrive in DEN about noon lcl, it was very smokey, vis was between 3-5 miles, ceiling at about 1000'. I was suprised by the hold, if it was in fact due to the vis.

From Red Rocks Amphitheater that evening, you could barely make out the downtown highrises, the smoke was so thick.

But by departure from DEN on Wednesday afternoon, it was pretty clear.

Everyone in california needs to be required to have fire extinguishers. How much more do they have left to burn there? Haven't they burned everything combustable in the entire state yet or are they importing flammable materials now?

One would think....

I live on the edge of the watershed land for the SF Water Dept. Technically its trespassing, but every year I hop the fence and mow/weedwack 40' out. That gives me about 60' of slow burn before something gets to my house.

Say it again. Takes a special kind of stupid to stay behind to protect insured property.

Well, the air is getting a little better. My eyes and nose doesn't burn any more. And the moon isn't nearly as brown anymore.

A pilot at the glider club came up to me yesterday and asked, "What kind of clouds are those?". (He's not a glider pilot)

Very high, thin wavy gray lines..

That's not cloud.. that's smoke.. I can smell it on every tow.

The winds must have changed today.. I'm in the house and can smell it, and my eyes are starting to sting a bit.. I have not been able to wear contacts for a week. LAX-LAS, not too far from the fires.

Last edited:
Back