oldShar

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gwen
California's Brown Vetoes Drone Laws
By Russ Niles
p1a0oh4uba15a0qkv1u1jckk18dl6.jpg
California Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed a bill that would have made criminals out of those flying drones illegally. The Los Angeles Times reported the bill, which resulted from the grounding of air tankers when hobby drones were spotted near wildfires, seems to have been rejected by Brown for economic and philosophical reasons, saying creating new criminals has taxed the penal system to the limit and beyond. The bill would have set fines at $5,000 and prison sentences at up to six months for flying drones over wildfires. Other bills would have set similar penalties for flying drones over schools and prisons. "Before we keep going down this road, I think we should pause and reflect how our system of criminal justice could be made more human, more just and more cost-effective," he said.
Several times over the summer, air tankers were grounded because drones were spotted in the area of the fires. In some cases, fire officials claimed the absence of air support resulted in the loss of homes and other property. That prompted the call for serious consequences for flying drones near fires but Brown said in his statement that being stupid shouldn't necessarily land someone in jail.

-- AvWeb

As he stated, he was given a raft of redundant laws that merely extended the verbiage of California statutes without actually making anything a crime that wasn't already a crime. It is already a violation of the law to fly drones in TFRs that explicitly prohibit them.

The idea that he is encouraging conflicts by his vetoes is ludicrous - and I write that even though I dislike the man and his politics.

CA loves criminals, I actually budgeted in the back of my head yearly for theft. Knuckle head factor in CA is suuuper high.

CA loves criminals, I actually budgeted in the back of my head yearly for theft. Knuckle head factor in CA is suuuper high.

Apparently, it's fairly high where you live too.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

I add nothing constructive to this thread.

Another reason I am overwhelmingly happy I left California after 35 years. Inmates run the asylum in Sacramento. Just look at Prop 47 and what's it's done to the state.

My understanding was it was vetoed, along with a bunch of other bills, because the prison overcrowding (and overspending) situation in CA has gotten out of hand, and putting people in prison for every possible offense isn't practical.

I'll leave out the rest of the potential political commentary.

The nice thing about living in California is that so many people who don't live here spend so much time worrying about you. :rolleyes:

We had to pass something like Prop 47. We could not afford to continue the way we were headed.

A lot of petty criminals that would be in jail are now out on the streets. Property crime is up in many areas.

That's an understatement. All crimes are up. **** birds that should be locked up are out and untouchable. My best friend is a detective for an Orange County agency. His work load went through the roof over night. He is asking me for a job out of state now. I know of two cops who left with significant influence of Prop 47. One is a cop now near Little Rock and the other went to Texas and is a Deputy in San Antonio. Both have never been happier.

Prop 47 is a complete sham that was sold on ignorance and mislabeling during the election. Who the hell wouldn't vote for a "safe schools act" right? Shows how stupid Ca. voters are. If they knew what it would really do, they would have flushed it. Moonbeam strikes again.:rolleyes2:

I'm going to hate myself for this, but - he's got a point. I don't have a solution but just making everything a felony and be done with it, doesn't seem effective. I hate the idea of drones flying around aircraft, particularly aircraft involved in fire or rescue. However, just making more, and more laws about behaviors that we don't like is a rough way to run a country.

I won't belabor, but there's another thread right now about the massive number of laws against gun ownership in certain places, and those laws are so ineffective as to be ridiculous. I wish I had a pat answer, but new felonies on the books for something that's already against a couple of laws seems like pol pandering to me.

I'm going to hate myself for this, but - he's got a point. I don't have a solution but just making everything a felony and be done with it, doesn't seem effective. I hate the idea of drones flying around aircraft, particularly aircraft involved in fire or rescue. However, just making more, and more laws about behaviors that we don't like is a rough way to run a country.

I won't belabor, but there's another thread right now about the massive number of laws against gun ownership in certain places, and those laws are so ineffective as to be ridiculous. I wish I had a pat answer, but new felonies on the books for something that's already against a couple of laws seems like pol pandering to me.

I get all sorts of crap, when I point out on here, that more laws, does not equal more people behaving well, nor a better society overall.

It just makes a society preoccupied with "the rules".

I get all sorts of crap, when I point out on here, that more laws, does not equal more people behaving well, nor a better society overall.

It just makes a society preoccupied with "the rules".

And never was their a better microcosm example of this than PoA.

Spinzoners constantly posting spinzone material in other forums.

"Commercial" members constantly spamming forums with their items "for sale" and other people posting for sale items outside the classifieds.

Then, people like me who are driven crazy by this boorish behavior and who feel that if you're going to have rules then enforce them...if you're not going to enforce them, then discard the rules.

It seems pretty simple to me!

There are between 10 and 20 billion birds in the US depending on the time of the year. 11,000 bird strikes annually and about 600 cause damage every year. No fatalities last year or the year before that. I'm not too worried about johnny's quadcopter.

Last edited:
That's an understatement. All crimes are up. **** birds that should be locked up are out and untouchable. My best friend is a detective for an Orange County agency. His work load went through the roof over night. He is asking me for a job out of state now. I know of two cops who left with significant influence of Prop 47. One is a cop now near Little Rock and the other went to Texas and is a Deputy in San Antonio. Both have never been happier.

Prop 47 is a complete sham that was sold on ignorance and mislabeling during the election. Who the hell wouldn't vote for a "safe schools act" right? Shows how stupid Ca. voters are. If they knew what it would really do, they would have flushed it. Moonbeam strikes again.:rolleyes2:

It's a complicated situation, much too complicated to discuss in a paragraph or two. California voters and our governor weren't stupid, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. We have passed so many laws, for so many reasons, that it has become too expensive - even for a wealthy state like California - to keep up with.

And, the cops leaving and being happier elsewhere: that's complicated too.

Ralph, I'd love to come back, but only if Fienstein, Boxer, Brown and the rest of that destructive anti-American political Clan were removed. They have done so much damage, bending over to political correctness and literally, and I mean literally, giving the state and the publics money away to illegal immigrants it's sickening.

My mom, a lifelong Ca resident has asked me to stop moving and settle down somewhere so she can move out as well. They grow wine grapes on the central coast and are sick to their stomachs with what has happened in th last 10 years. They want put as well, and I encourage them to leave.

The old saying, you don't know what you don't know rings true. Cali residents are all about telling people how nice the weather is in Cali, surf and ski in the same day, etc. but once they get to experience life, not just a visit in a place where Americans are still appreciated and respected, they finally understand what Sacramento has done to the once great state of California.

Back on topic: see thread about massive lawsuit against commercial drone operator by the FAA. So for one thing, it's Federal airspace, not state.

It easy: If you don't like it here, don't live here. The constant whining about it, after people have left, I could do without.

And never was their a better microcosm example of this than PoA.

Spinzoners constantly posting spinzone material in other forums.

My apology. I don't think I 'constantly' post that material outside of the sub forum, but the reference was minimal, at best. If it offended, you can put me on ignore, and never see any of my posts again.

My apology. I don't think I 'constantly' post that material outside of the sub forum, but the reference was minimal, at best. If it offended, you can put me on ignore, and never see any of my posts again.

Tim is easily offended, probably, already has you on ignore :lol:

It easy: If you don't like it here, don't live here. The constant whining about it, after people have left, I could do without.
Any thread which contains the word "California" turns into a California-bashing thread, mostly by people who don't live there. Of course this one started out as a California-bashing thread...

I don't live there anymore. I do business there, I visit, and am forced to pay for some of their more dubious federal aided programs. I will bash CA if serves a purpose.

Anyone wants some kind of protection, it should be TX, not CA. TX bashing is common sport for the MSM, and the bi-coastal elites.

I own property there (CA), have lived there before and will live there again. I'm also native to another state which gets a lot of bashing (NJ).

Last edited:
I don't mind when people "bash"
Colorado at all. It means they won't be moving here, which is a very happy thing. :)

I don't mind when people "bash"
Colorado at all. It means they won't be moving here, which is a very happy thing. :)

I don't find that people make a habit of bashing Colorado, except perhaps for the recent pot decision, and then they are usually just teasing. When we are somewhere else and say we are going back home to Colorado it often brings a request to hitch a ride rather than a sneer.

I don't find that people make a habit of bashing Colorado, except perhaps for the recent pot decision, and then they are usually just teasing. When we are somewhere else and say we are going back home to Colorado it often brings a request to hitch a ride rather than a sneer.

Yeah. I know. We need better negative marketing. It snows here all the time and the traffic is awful and if you're named Nick, we'll give you really expensive traffic tickets that you can't fight because we voted all those rights away! :)

How am I doing so far? ;-)

Yeah. I know. We need better negative marketing. It snows here all the time and the traffic is awful and if you're named Nick, we'll give you really expensive traffic tickets that you can't fight because we voted all those rights away! :)

How am I doing so far? ;-)
The housing prices are really high (except when you compare them to California, especially the Bay Area) and there's that brown cloud which isn't as brown as it was when I first moved here.

I lived in CA, and I loved it, and for a long time. I still like to get out there, visit, spend a little time; but they went down the wrong road a long time back, a little at a time, leading to the current sad situation - hyper-intrusive gov't, grotesque inefficiency, confiscatory taxes, the entire sad litany too long to rant about now.

I'm not bashing CA - I feel bad about what's been lost. . . but it's gone, and it is what it is.

Back