California Capitol Airshow 9/8-9/9

Aeric

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aeric
Anyone here going to this? I try to make it every year from the Bay Area and this will be the first year as a POA member. It's always a great show.
Myperks Sacramento has half off tickets for another two days or so.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be gone Sept. 10-18 and a week of air shows / races is where I will be.

So I can't do this on top of all that. Also, I am hoping to do fleet week from a boat (either my BF's or his friend's) this year, and that is plenty of airshows for me!

I just saw the tail end of Wings Over Wine Country when we heard a P-51 and found a back road that a bunch of motorists had pulled over on to watch for free. We were on our way somewhere and only saw about 20 mins but it was neat.

I go every year if I can. I'm happy the Thunderbirds are coming this year -- we didn't get any of the big name demo teams last year (I think because it was the 9/11 ten-year anniversary, and so they were probably at more high-profile venues). Thanks for the discount tix tip!

Cool, guys. I'd like to meet up and say hi to whoever attends. Kim, I might actually check out a day at the Reno races the following weekend. A good excuse to get to my place in Tahoe.:)

Cool, guys. I'd like to meet up and say hi to whoever attends. Kim, I might actually check out a day at the Reno races the following weekend. A good excuse to get to my place in Tahoe.:)

If you do, there is a BBQ on Saturday night after the races but you'll need a car to get there (about 10 miles away). It is hosted every year (or close to that) by a guy from another pilot board.

One thing I've learned with local air shows, is that it helps to pre-position your plane on the ramp so you can stock it with food and beverage for the event. You blow through hella cash getting bent on Miller Lite going for $7 a cup.

One thing I've learned with local air shows, is that it helps to pre-position your plane on the ramp so you can stock it with food and beverage for the event. You blow through hella cash getting bent on Miller Lite going for $7 a cup.

8 hours bottle to throttle doesn't count for cans of Miller?

8 hours bottle to throttle doesn't count for cans of Miller?

No I mean park it there and leave it for the weekend. Fly in either the day before or that morning before the TFR takes effect. Obviously it has to be a close enough venue that you can get shuttled back and forth somehow.

Hey John :). Crud, I'm going to be there on Sunday, busy down here on Saturday. Howdy anyway!

Sunday I have to go over to SMF and climb into one of those big metal tubes with the rest of the cattle.

As every self respecting German will tell you, Miller Lite is indistinguishable from dishwater.

Not that the Feds would be impressed with that excuse....

Bingo. Hence the backpack with a couple bottles of Jameson and a few shot glasses. You be da MAN that way!

No I mean park it there and leave it for the weekend. Fly in either the day before or that morning before the TFR takes effect. Obviously it has to be a close enough venue that you can get shuttled back and forth somehow.

This is Mather we are talking about. It would be cheaper to pony up for the $7 miller.:eek:

This is Mather we are talking about. It would be cheaper to pony up for the $7 miller.:eek:
Mather is pricey. Flew there once to visit family and avoided the local FBO's ramp fee by topping off with their overpriced (even by PAO's standards) avgas.

Mather is pricey. Flew there once to visit family and avoided the local FBO's ramp fee by topping off with their overpriced (even by PAO's standards) avgas.

I have heard stories about $40 for passenger drop offs, but I picked up my GF there about a month ago for a Monterey trip and also dropped her off and they did not charge me. I imagine the overnight fees are pricey, though.

I don't recall ever having been charged ramp fees and I've flown in to Mather boo coo times. I've never parked overnight there but to my knowledge all the Sacramento County GA airports charge a uniform fee. I think McClellen and Executive are $10 a night. I'm sure International is probably more.

It is a pretty locked down airport. You pretty much have to use Atlantic to get in and out of the airport and park, unless you have a relationship with one of the maintenance shops or a hangar, there. Based on some previous reviews, it looks like they used to charge a landing fee. That said, they didn't do that to me, so I don't think that is the policy anymore. I have never parked overnight.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMHR/ATLANTIC

From D McLemore on 09-Mar-2012
4.gif
Nothing but good things to say about the staff, but BE AWARE of the $40 landing fee, even for transient GA aircraft

From Peter Tracy on 18-Jun-2010
5.gif
I flew my Bonanza A36 into KMHR Atlantic for a meeting. The rental car I had called for was driven right to the plane. The linemen guided me into a parking space and tied the plane down. They offered me a ride and asked if there were any services I needed. My purchase of 15 gallons of fuel waived the $40 facility fee. (I think the minimum amount for the waiver is 7 gallons.) Gas was almost $1/gal. more than my home base, but I thought it reasonable for a big city airport. Overnight was $10. I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Arguably a bit expensive, but my Sacramento hotel charged me $17 for self-parking the rental car. So $25 for Atlantic's services doesn't seem out of line in this case. Easy in; easy out. Great controllers. I will go back.

From Billy O'Quinn on 02-May-2010
Been to Mather often for maintenance. Had to stop and pick up relative for family medical emergency. Thought I would try Atlantic with a quick turn. BIG MISTAKE. $120.00 for parking on their ramp regardless. With such a nice modest airport with incredible room it's too bad that big name FBO greed applies to a half acre. I'm a Pro charter pilot for 20 years and will avoid Atlantic as most of these posts agree. Come on Atlantic..

Back