California Advice

Sierra Victor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sierra Victor
My 11 yo daughter and I are headed from the DFW area to the central coast in the next week or so. We will be visiting family in San Luis Obispo but I also wanted to show her more of that beautiful coast. Any recommendations on restaurants/hotels in either Carmel or Big Sur? Been 30 years since I've seen that section of the coast so please refresh my memory on the major things to see. I want to target the area between Monterey and SBP.
Also, IIRC the marine layer is a PITA this time of year. I want to stay VFR so instead of parking the plane in SBP and taking the chance of getting stuck on departure would it be better to base out of PRB (or somewhere else inland)? Looks like the mornings can be iffy there as well but it burns off earlier...?
Either way I'll be renting a car so that's not an issue.
Any recommendations/info is appreciated.

Scott

Of course, there is the castle :)

Paso Robles sees a lot less marine layer than SLO, but you aren't likely to be stuck all day unless you go to Oceano.

Santa Maria is also pretty clear.

KPRB has severe VFR now, except for occasional marine layer til 8am.
KPRB is closest to Hearst Castle & Ragged Point.
KMRY is much closer to Big Sur.

You remember correctly. There is "June Gloom" on the coast most of the summer. PRB gives you a better chance of not having wx issues. You said you "want" to stay VFR. If you can fly IFR it's usually just a climb to OTP to get above it. You'll usually be VFR in a minute or two

Back