California acro lessons

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
gibbons said:
Can you describe how he taught slow rolls? Were you working on competition spins? Start a new thread in aerobatics if you need to, but I'm anxious to hear about your flights.

One of the first things Mike said to me when I got there on Saturday was that he liked my article in Sport Aerobatics. That was so sweet of him! :) I wish I could spend more time flying with him; he’s an exceptionally good instructor and humble as well. He understood my need to go at my own pace and was quite accommodating, patient, and pleasant.

We almost didn’t get to go because the FBO had sent out the chutes to be repacked. Mike ran and got his parachutes from his Pitts. What a nice guy! I really, really liked flying with him.

Mike asked me what I wanted to work on, so we took it from there. We started with some ground instruction on spins and talked about my little spin problem a few months ago. We also talked about the hammerheads and slow rolls and recovery from botched maneuvers. His description of control inputs in the competition slow roll is exactly like you described it Chip. :yes:

We did several three-turn spins to the left and right and then worked on coming out on heading in one-turn spins. It took some experimenting with just when to start using opposite rudder so it took a few times. Starting between ½ and ¾ worked the best for that Citabria at that W & B. There wasn’t time to work out the finer points of the competition spin, but at least I have a little more to go on now.

Hammerheads were next. Apparently I consistently use right aileron as soon as I start pulling up for the vertical. It was nice having somebody with me in the Citabria to catch that. I thought I was straight. :redface:

The timing of the vertical and the pivot seemed to be just like I had been doing before and my pivots actually turned out OK according to him. Guess I wasn’t as bad as I thought. Or maybe that ballast in the back helped. I had been hitting my wake going back down the last time I did them at home. Still don’t know the significance of that, but hope it’s a good thing.

The next day we played with different rolls after doing more spins. He demonstrated the competition slow roll and it felt awful in the Citabria, much worse than in the Extra. Had to use full forward stick and that’s quite a reach especially when inverted at –1 G. Mike suggested a very slight “nose up” just prior to the roll; he said just slight enough that the judges might not notice, but enough to help keep the nose from wanting to fall as much when inverted.

After seeing and feeling the competition slow roll in a Citabria, I can say with absolute certainty that I would not have been able to teach myself that one on my own without having experienced at least one in a Citabria. Now I can start working on it. We are going to need a better or additional seat belt in the Citabria if I'm going to be hanging from the belt like that.

We had a crosswind at 25G30KT and I don’t fly the Citabria in those winds, at least on pavement anyway. At my request he did the landing…it was perfect! I was very impressed. The next day the crosswind was at 15G20KT and his landing in the Pitts was perfect too.

That’s all that I recall right now; I know we did more. Oh, maybe that was in the Pitts. What a sweet ride! :D

I hope they take the hammerhead out of the 2006 Primary sequence. It looks like I won’t be doing hammers anymore in my Citabria because of issues that have come up in the past week or so. But, at least I know how to do them better now if I ever get the chance again.

Diana said:
The timing of the vertical and the pivot seemed to be just like I had been doing before and my pivots actually turned out OK according to him. Guess I wasn’t as bad as I thought. Or maybe that ballast in the back helped. I had been hitting my wake going back down the last time I did them at home. Still don’t know the significance of that, but hope it’s a good thing.

I'm not sure what you're hitting on the way down, but it can't be your wake as none is generated on a vertical climb (no lift).

Nice write up BTW.

lancefisher said:
I'm not sure what you're hitting on the way down, but it can't be your wake as none is generated on a vertical climb (no lift).
Hmmm, it felt like the little "whomp" that you feel when you hit your wake finishing the loop and it happened in the same spot on the downline at least two or three times. Wouldn't there be some lift involved as you pull up from the dive for the vertical with the hammerhead?

lancefisher said:
Nice write up BTW.
Thank you Lance. :)

Diana said:
His description of control inputs in the competition slow roll is exactly like you described it Chip. :yes:
Please don't sound so surprised!!! :D

Diana said:
Hammerheads were next. Apparently I consistently use right aileron as soon as I start pulling up for the vertical. It was nice having somebody with me in the Citabria to catch that. I thought I was straight. :redface:
Hmmmm. Where have we seen that before? [/quote]

Diana said:
The next day we played with different rolls after doing more spins. He demonstrated the competition slow roll and it felt awful in the Citabria, much worse than in the Extra. Had to use full forward stick and that’s quite a reach especially when inverted at –1 G. Mike suggested a very slight “nose up” just prior to the roll; he said just slight enough that the judges might not notice, but enough to help keep the nose from wanting to fall as much when inverted.

After seeing and feeling the competition slow roll in a Citabria, I can say with absolute certainty that I would not have been able to teach myself that one on my own without having experienced at least one in a Citabria. Now I can start working on it. We are going to need a better or additional seat belt in the Citabria if I'm going to be hanging from the belt like that.
I have the hooker lap belts that came out of the front seat of the Extra if they'll fit the Citabria. They might work as a safety - a second belt over your current one. No ratchet.

Diana said:
I hope they take the hammerhead out of the 2006 Primary sequence.
I think they will do that. We'll see.

Diana said:
It looks like I won’t be doing hammers anymore in my Citabria because of issues that have come up in the past week or so.
Oh? Do tell.

gibbons said:
I have the hooker lap belts that came out of the front seat of the Extra if they'll fit the Citabria. They might work as a safety - a second belt over your current one.
Thanks Chip. I might run down some time and look at them. We're going to put something different in while it's down for the recover. If they'll work, I'd like to buy them from you.

Diana said:
Thanks Chip. I might run down some time and look at them. We're going to put something different in while it's down for the recover. If they'll work, I'd like to buy them from you.

Recover? As in install new fabric on the Cit? I sure would like it if you were to keep us informed on how that goes and post some in-progress pics.

Richard said:
Recover? As in install new fabric on the Cit?

Yes, I'm afraid the Citablueberria will be down for a long time. They plan to start in a few weeks. I don't know how I will keep from getting cranky while she's down. :dunno: :(

Richard said:
I sure would like it if you were to keep us informed on how that goes and post some in-progress pics.

OK :)

gibbons said:
Please don't sound so surprised!!! :D
Well, take comfort in the fact that I never questioned the validity of what you told me or was lacking in understanding of the aerodynamics of the competition slow roll. I just didn't know how the heck to convince the Citabria. :)

gibbons said:
Hmmmm. Where have we seen that before?
Lessee, that would be Arkansas, Missouri, California and any other state I go vertical in/over. I'm sure there's a name for the condition/pathology where you don't know what your arms and legs are doing, but you hope that they are doing what you tell them to do while you are in weird positions in space while feeling 4 G's :)

Back