Cali pilots, Q for you...

carpe noctem

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
carpe noctem
I wanted to find a less stressful way to fly a tiny puppy manchester terrier from San Jose Ca - Van Nuys Ca. Want to avoid cargo in a large commercial jet.

I heard that pilots will often list available flights for humans if their plane is heading in a certain flight plan/direction anyway. Is this true? Would such pilots allow my puppies breeder to put her on a plane and I pick her up in Van Nuys?

I think it would be a week, or two before she is old enough just yet.

Anyone know of anyone or any advertised listings such as this?

It would mean a lot.

I wanted to find a less stressful way to fly a tiny puppy manchester terrier from San Jose Ca - Van Nuys Ca. Want to avoid cargo in a large commercial jet.

I heard that pilots will often list available flights for humans if their plane is heading in a certain flight plan/direction anyway. Is this true? Would such pilots allow my puppies breeder to put her on a plane and I pick her up in Van Nuys?

I think it would be a week, or two before she is old enough just yet.

Anyone know of anyone or any advertised listings such as this?

It would mean a lot.

The way I understand the rules for private pilots, the only way they could do this would be for free. It is only legal to split costs evenly with someone(a person) if the pilot is already making the trip regardless. And that legality depends on how they come to the agreement. Its all very confusing to me.(student pilot)

edit:
I don't know if they could even take the dog for free legally. Is that cargo? Someone with a clue will be along shortly to chime in.

Thanks to you both for the feedback.

Goodness, no. I didn't intend to sound like I would want my pup to have a free ride. I expected expense. The family I heard this from the pilot asked for gas cost. It was around the same as a cargo flight, but without the trauma and the pilot wasn't bothered as the pick-up was convenient enough for him too. Its simply time to start planning her travel and am asking around to see if its possible.

Will look into Pilot's N Paws.

The least stress would probably to take her as cabin baggage in a small carrier. Check with the airlines for specific rules.

Riding in a small plane is noisy and often bumpy.

The least stress would probably to take her as cabin baggage in a small carrier. Check with the airlines for specific rules.
I was thinking that too. I know someone who flew with a small dog from OAK to DEN on Southwest in the cabin. The dog needs to be small enough to fit in a carrier which can go under the seat. But I would check to make sure. You may need to make prior arrangements.

I am not certain about this but I believe pilotsnpaws is only for rescues transporting dogs, since this dog is coming from a breeder I think it's outside the scope of a charitable organization like PNP.

I volunteer with PnP and its against the rules to accept money for expenses. Pilots are allowed to write off fuel or even rental costs sine PnP and most of the rescues are 501c3 charities

airdale, is it? That adds more thought to this then. Thanks for the feedback.

Everskyward, she is small enough to ride in a cabin, she will only be ten pounds fully grown. This has always been the way she will most likey end up traveling home, but it doesn't hurt to ask around. Thanks for your feedback.

mikea76, I read that last night about Pilots N Paws only being for rescues. I asked the family just now. The pilot told them the cost of fuel and they made the payment as a donation to his cause. It was I that heard it the wrong way.

Go to Pilot's N Paws and ask for a flight through them.

http://www.pilotsnpaws.org

No, PnP is for animal rescues from shelters, not random transportation of pets.

The way I understand the rules for private pilots, the only way they could do this would be for free. It is only legal to split costs evenly with someone(a person) if the pilot is already making the trip regardless. And that legality depends on how they come to the agreement. Its all very confusing to me.(student pilot)

edit:
I don't know if they could even take the dog for free legally. Is that cargo? Someone with a clue will be along shortly to chime in.

Carriage of cargo for compensation is generally considered a commercial operation under part 119. As such, unless the pilot carries the dog without compensation, they may be in violation of the regulations.

OP: the types of flight listing business you mention may facilitate pilots to violate rules on flying for compensation. If you have a friend who's willing to fly your dog gratis, no worries, but a stranger requesting compensation to transport your dog is likely breaking the rules, regardless of whether it is "cost sharing" or not.

If it were me I'd probably fly the dog commercially in the cabin, in a carrier.

I wanted to find a less stressful way to fly a tiny puppy manchester terrier from San Jose Ca - Van Nuys Ca.

Road trip is your answer. Round trip car gas will be less than plane gas, let alone any compensation which as mentioned is not allowed as far as Private Pilots are concerned.

But you may find a willing volunteer that is headed that way and willing to help but there are not any structured paid services that are gonna get your little guy there via private plane...good luck

Last edited:
Back