Calculus in 20 minutes....

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
If he had been my professor I might have gotten better grades in math while I was there. But I sure wouldn't have wanted him for an 8AM class!

Regards,
Joe

at least he can clearly speak english.

One of the professors in our department was recently featured on the History Channel program about UFO "Rods". He was given subtitles! Unfortunately when he is teaching our Aerodynamics courses, the students do not get subtitles :(

If only I had known about this last week before my calc final...

My Son is currently enrolled in a Calculus course at the local community college. I sent him your link. That's whose teaching his internet course!! Small world.

Best,

Dave

How'd he do?

Wow... Awesome! That should be required viewing for all calc 1 students BEFORE the first class. That way they know they can sleep until they get shown the easy way. ;)

Really though, it's a shame more math profs don't do something like this, not necessarily as fast, but something with more real-world examples (position, velocity, acceleration) so their students don't start drooling and fall asleep.

at least he can clearly speak english.

One of the professors in our department was recently featured on the History Channel program about UFO "Rods". He was given subtitles! Unfortunately when he is teaching our Aerodynamics courses, the students do not get subtitles :(

Ugh. Reminds me of Dr. Law. Oriental, and barely understandable. My old business partner actually wrote a "Dr. Law to English Dictionary" to help him in the class.

At least he didn't teach anything hard :rolleyes:... Only Electromagnetic Fields! :hairraise:

Ugh. Reminds me of Dr. Law. Oriental, and barely understandable. My old business partner actually wrote a "Dr. Law to English Dictionary" to help him in the class.

At least he didn't teach anything hard :rolleyes:... Only Electromagnetic Fields! :hairraise:

After Statics, Dynamics and Linear Algebra from non-native English speakers I told my major advisor that I'd had enough. From then on if the guy didn't speak English as his native language, I wasn't taking the class. Wish more students would do the same. After 20-30 years administrations 'might' get the message. :D

I almost understood what the heck he was saying! It made sense, sort of! Who'd have thought... :eek:

After 20-30 years administrations 'might' get the message. :D

Doubt it. They arent trying to hire good professors, they are trying to hire good researchers who can bring in the money. If he is a brilliant mind in Computational Fluid Dynamics, who cares if he cant speak intelligible english? or if he is visibly afraid of speaking in front of a group of students? He'll bring the department millions of dollars in grant money! The two best teachers in our department are a Lecturer who does the freshman level intro to engineering courses and a guy who got denied tenure last year. Both of their jobs are in limbo :(

Doubt it. They arent trying to hire good professors, they are trying to hire good researchers who can bring in the money. If he is a brilliant mind in Computational Fluid Dynamics, who cares if he cant speak intelligible english? or if he is visibly afraid of speaking in front of a group of students? He'll bring the department millions of dollars in grant money! The two best teachers in our department are a Lecturer who does the freshman level intro to engineering courses and a guy who got denied tenure last year. Both of their jobs are in limbo :(

I remember my first year accounting teacher, Albert Lew. It took weeks before I could understand whether he was saying "debit" or "credit". It was a 7:30 am class and my work shift ended at 7:00 am. God, I hated that class.

My son just dropped a class being taught by a guy so old his wife has to drive him to class. She has to repeat every question asked two or three times because he can't hear. He speaks so quietly and slowly she has to repeat his lectures to the class. To make matters worse it was a two hour / day lecture class. I didn't object when he said he wanted to drop it.

All too true, I'm afraid. Students are of the mistaken belief that a university is there to teach. You are correct, professors are rewarded for bringing in research grants, not for teaching well. But, you as the consumer have the right to demand that the classes you take are taught by competent instructors (job function, not academic rank) and you shouldn't have to put up with unintelligible teachers. Not with what you're paying for tuition.

All too true, I'm afraid. Students are of the mistaken belief that a university is there to teach. You are correct, professors are rewarded for bringing in research grants, not for teaching well. But, you as the consumer have the right to demand that the classes you take are taught by competent instructors (job function, not academic rank) and you shouldn't have to put up with unintelligible teachers. Not with what you're paying for tuition.

the students are just a burden on research progress it seems. Our tuition money is pennies compared to the research grants these guys pull in. our department head is all gung ho about making our department ranked in the top 25 of all aerospace schools. ranking has nothing to do with undergraduate education and everything to do with the masters program and research.

Back