Calculating fuel burn

In the history of flight, no one has ever accurately and correctly predicted future fuel burn.
Actually, many people accurately compute fuel burn over time. The problem comes with the variability of time to destination.

In the history of flight, no one has ever accurately and correctly predicted future fuel burn.
All that sticking and math accomplish is to show what the burn was on that day, under those conditions.
But, it does, kind of, sort of provide an approximate baseline for what might happen.
The expression, "Your mileage may vary." is never more true than when flying.

I thought NASA did a pretty good job with Armstrong & Aldrin's lunar lander. Or maybe that was Armstrong & Aldrin doing a pretty good job with NASA's lunar lander, as they guided it down at the Sea of Tranquility? ;)

I thought NASA did a pretty good job with Armstrong & Aldrin's lunar lander. Or maybe that was Armstrong & Aldrin doing a pretty good job with NASA's lunar lander, as they guided it down at the Sea of Tranquility? ;)
With what? Less than 15 seconds of fuel left.
A clear violation of the 30 minute rule. :smilewinkgrin:

With what? Less than 15 seconds of fuel left.
A clear violation of the 30 minute rule. :smilewinkgrin:

The father of my best friend, a career military pilot, was fond of saying "We don't get paid to haul fuel around the skies"

My plane books out at 8.4. I plan for 10. I burn 9. And I want 10 gallons in the tanks when the mains hit the runway.

Back