CakePHP

Anybody use it? Opinions?
Cake, Zend, Symfony, yii, Codeigniter...all basically do the same, just the syntax and notations differ. There's a number of "reviews" and comparisons found with just a simple search.

I haven't used it, but I downloaded it last night. I usually hand-code, but I'm curious.

It'll be a while before I can test it out, though. My current projects are mainly content-related, rather than coding-related.

-Rich

Sounds interesting. Things I do are for me or my EAA chapter. Everything I've done has been in C# on an MS platform since my son is well versed in it and he makes a good tutor when I run into issues. I use Visual Studio to develop with. Gives me something to do.

I'm throwing up a smallerish site with the hopes that it will grow. I'm not a PHP fan, my days with PHP were spent trying to make Joomla! into something it isn't. I'm C/Java/ABAP/.NET developer. My server is already running a lot of wordpress sites and I didn't feel like standing up an entire J2EE app server for this little site.

I've got CakePHP up and running, wired to the database and the authenticaion system in place. It seems like the default stylesheet and data modeling will keep me out of the mundane tasks of hand rolling css and database access.

Think I'm going to run with it.

If you are going to be stuck in the past with PHP then you should at least use Symfony (the framework they patterned Rails on)

Check out Laravel. I have looked extensively at every PHP framework out there. We have a couple large PHP projects and there is nothing that comes remotely close to Laravel in terms of functionality and beauty.. It is very clean.

The guy that created came from a .net background and you can definitely tell it. The ORM is amazing, as well the community. If you try it I can assure you, you wont go back. http://laravel.com/

Check out Laravel. I have looked extensively at every PHP framework out there. We have a couple large PHP projects and there is nothing that comes remotely close to the Laravel in terms of functionality and beauty.. It is very clean. The guy that created came from a .net background and you can definitely tell it. The ORM is amazing as well the community. If you try it I can assure you, you wont go back. http://laravel.com/

Guy at work sold me on it earlier today. :wink2:

Awesome! The community is really amazing. If you run into issues jump on the IRC you will see me there and several of my staff.

x2 on Laravel.

I'm building a large project on Laravel right now after my previous PHP projects were in CodeIgniter. Laravel took a little while to get used to, but now that I'm knee-deep in it, it's very functional and easy to use.

CodeIgniter is freaking awesome. I tried Laravel, but found it more cumbersome to initialize projects with than I had time for, so I went back to CodeIgniter.

I used to be into the whole framework thing but not really anymore. I'd much rather just use Ruby and pick and choose the gems that help me accomplish what I'm trying to do. It's really the best of both worlds.

(I'm a former PHP developer, now ruby developer that does not use rails).

CodeIgniter is freaking awesome. I tried Laravel, but found it more cumbersome to initialize projects with than I had time for, so I went back to CodeIgniter.

I thought the same thing until I had the 'A ha!' moment with Laravel. The whole 'migrations' piece of Laravel is nice. I can develop on localhost and tweak my database schema as necessary with the built-in migrations framework. Then when I push the codebase to a DEV or PROD box, all I have to do is run the migrations and my schema is automagically updated. Yeah, I can definitely do that work without the migrations, but it's one less thing to have to worry about when migrating code over to a new box.

As for CI - you might want to check the sustainability of CI going forward. That was one thing that worried me about it - there doesn't seem to be a very defined path with it going forward since the company that picked the project up is looking at dumping it now.

I used to be into the whole framework thing but not really anymore. I'd much rather just use Ruby and pick and choose the gems that help me accomplish what I'm trying to do. It's really the best of both worlds.

(I'm a former PHP developer, now ruby developer that does not use rails).

My senior project several years ago was in RoR. The biggest thing that I didn't like about it was trying to get a server that would run it. Maybe if you're ONLY doing Ruby it's easier to go live with, but trying to run RoR over the top of Apache was not the simplest thing to set up (for me, at least, who only dives into Linux command line once every couple of months).

Also, maybe Ruby w/o Rails is easier to set up?

I thought the same thing until I had the 'A ha!' moment with Laravel. The whole 'migrations' piece of Laravel is nice. I can develop on localhost and tweak my database schema as necessary with the built-in migrations framework. Then when I push the codebase to a DEV or PROD box, all I have to do is run the migrations and my schema is automagically updated. Yeah, I can definitely do that work without the migrations, but it's one less thing to have to worry about when migrating code over to a new box.

As for CI - you might want to check the sustainability of CI going forward. That was one thing that worried me about it - there doesn't seem to be a very defined path with it going forward since the company that picked the project up is looking at dumping it now.

Rails is a HUGGEEE giant beast. It certainly had it's strengths but with the kind of stuff I build it doesn't make sense.

My senior project several years ago was in RoR. The biggest thing that I didn't like about it was trying to get a server that would run it. Maybe if you're ONLY doing Ruby it's easier to go live with, but trying to run RoR over the top of Apache was not the simplest thing to set up (for me, at least, who only dives into Linux command line once every couple of months).

Also, maybe Ruby w/o Rails is easier to set up?
These days basically nobody runs ruby apps on top of Apache. You generally run the app using a web server written in Ruby like Unicorn then put something like nginx in front of that.

Platforms like Heroku make this super simple. They make it so damn easy to stand up applications quickly without you ever having to worry about server maintenance.

Ruby is so good at being modular that you can pick and choose the pieces you want. If you want Rails style ORM and migrations then you just use the active record gem. You don't have to bring in the whole framework.

I use Sinatra for most things.

Last edited:
Back