Cadillac Michigan 4/1/2010 -- Apache flyin'

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
No foolin'! I will be flying Tom Brady's Apache on Thursday afternoon at Cadillac, Michigan. Hello, Ed Fred!
I plan on shooting the VOR Apch at HTL, conditions permitting. I have not flown since last August, so I need the dual. Say hi on unicom if you are in the area!:yesnod:
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Tom Brady's 1957 Apache is in much better condition than old 13P. It even has a heater! Probably needs it more than I did in Chicago.
Shot four approaches into Traverse City. 2 x ILS 25 and 2 x VOR. The approaches went pretty well except for the first VOR, where my finger double clicked on the timer and I did not notice until well after the turn, twist, throttle and talk routine. We found a way to make it work, though.
A pilot named Joe is getting his MEI checkride this morning. The examiner got there late so I am at the Cadillac library brushing up on multi-engine ground school stuff. I am slowly dredging up these procedures from 2007. My memory is clouded by my father's illness and death. I know it is a sad excuse, but it is the only one I have.
With any luck, I will be back up here soon to complete the multi check ride. I will probably fly the club's Cherokee 140 when it is out of the annual process. It was a long drive, but traffic was light on Thursday.
Time to go flyin'!
ApacheBob

Several years ago, I did my MEL with Tom and his Apache. With the ink still fresh on the MEL, we did my CFII in a 182RG. 2 ratings in 4 days. It was fun and very relaxed.

Tom Brady's 1957 Apache is in much better condition than old 13P. It even has a heater! Probably needs it more than I did in Chicago.
Shot four approaches into Traverse City. 2 x ILS 25 and 2 x VOR. The approaches went pretty well except for the first VOR, where my finger double clicked on the timer and I did not notice until well after the turn, twist, throttle and talk routine. We found a way to make it work, though.
A pilot named Joe is getting his MEI checkride this morning. The examiner got there late so I am at the Cadillac library brushing up on multi-engine ground school stuff. I am slowly dredging up these procedures from 2007. My memory is clouded by my father's illness and death. I know it is a sad excuse, but it is the only one I have.
With any luck, I will be back up here soon to complete the multi check ride. I will probably fly the club's Cherokee 140 when it is out of the annual process. It was a long drive, but traffic was light on Thursday.
Time to go flyin'!
ApacheBob
Best of luck Bob, I am rooting for ya!

I heard the Apache flying laps at Cadillac about 2:00 on Thursday. Was that you ApacheBob? I didn't say anything because I didn't figure distractions in the pattern were very useful. Plus the fact that I really don't like radios much either. I was over at Gladwin, about 20 miles south of Houghton Lake.

Barb

I heard the Apache flying laps at Cadillac about 2:00 on Thursday. Was that you ApacheBob? I didn't say anything because I didn't figure distractions in the pattern were very useful. Plus the fact that I really don't like radios much either. I was over at Gladwin, about 20 miles south of Houghton Lake.

Barb
Hey, Barb!
Yup, that was me. With a pretty strong tailwind, those VOR finals moved fast! So I may not have had the capacity to reply.
We flew over a housefire just north of the VOR on our second approach. We reported it to the tower. The tower asked us if we saw any fire personnel on scene, which we did not.
The woods are pretty dry around Traverse City these days, so the fire was still burning the woods merrily as we passed the location 10 minutes later after we did our touch and go on Runway 18. By that time, there was a fire truck there. The house appeared to have burned to the ground.
There was a Skylane circling overhead at 3,000 msl by then, maybe it was a US forest service plane(?)
I hope to be back up with Tom on April 22. Maybe we can meet for dinner on that Thursday night at Cadillac or Traverse City? "All pilots in the area...please advise!" :)
I slept at McGuire's Resort on Thursday night. Not too many other lodgers. Maybe it will be busier when the weather warms up.
Did quite a few VMC demonstrations with Tom. The Apache is awesome! But I keep wanting to bank the wrong way. I am glad that Tom is positive in his instructing. The landings went well, though. Amazing what 300 hours time in type will do for you.
For our final stop at Cadillac, we landed on the north-south grass strip with the winds gusty out of the south 15 gusting to 20. Very cool!
If things work out, I will shoot for a checkride on April 23.
Thanks for the kind words!
ApacheBob

I'm temporarily grounded as a fight off a bug, or I would have been up flyin. I'll see about the 22nd.

I'm temporarily grounded as a fight off a bug, or I would have been up flyin. I'll see about the 22nd.
I should be airborne about 10:30 am. Maybe I will hear you on the radio.

Back