Cadet programs with regionals question

bigdog2003

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kyle
What are the advantages and disadvantages to the programs some of the regional airlines offer?

I see no real advantages at this time. If you have a pulse and ATP mins you’ll get hired at any regional you want. You don’t need to have a bridge program to get hired. If you sign on with one of these schools and find out the regional you chose is not for you, you may still have to give the airline XX amount of years before you can resign.

Don't do any cadet program that gives you money/tuition assistance. That's code for "here's a bit of money now and so you're gonna fly for us for x amount of time after you graduate." There are some programs that are simply mentorship from current pilots and some events with the airline but are non-contractual and you are under no obligation to fly for that carrier after you meet mins. Endeavor and Republic have programs like this and Skywest is a little more in depth but there is still no requirement to fly with them once you graduate. Again, don't tie yourself to a regional now that may not even exist in two years when you're actually ready to go fly for them.

Thank you for the info. I am getting ready to start working on my instrument and on. Hopefully in a around 2.5-3 years I will be ready to start looking for a place at the regionals.

I see no real advantages at this time. If you have a pulse and ATP mins you’ll get hired at any regional you want. You don’t need to have a bridge program to get hired. If you sign on with one of these schools and find out the regional you chose is not for you, you may still have to give the airline XX amount of years before you can resign.

That, these programs aren't built to be nice to pilots, they are built to make pilots the regionals own for X years, it ain't for your benifit.

Thank you for the info. I am getting ready to start working on my instrument and on. Hopefully in a around 2.5-3 years I will be ready to start looking for a place at the regionals.

I'm sorry to hear that, don't be afraid to set your goals higher.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that, don't be afraid to set your goals higher.

I do have other goals but I just figure that I am going to have to get some turbine time at the regionals before moving on.

I do have other goals but I just figure that I am going to have to get some turbine time at the regionals before moving on.

Don’t mind James - he’s pretty anti airline. :) If your goal is a major airline or UPS/FedEx, the regionals are a perfectly acceptable method to get there, and usually the quickest.

If your goal is something other than the airlines, or if you’re more of an ‘enjoy the journey’ kind of guy - there are definitely other options. But you asked about the regionals, and I tend to agree with the others - don’t lock yourself down with some pathway program in this hiring environment.

Because of the shortage, and much higher pay now, lots of small ops are having real issues finding pilots. Someone I know recently was hired by a Midwest company as non-flying crew, while letting him build his multi- time in thier small twin. He'll have to "pay it off" with a contract, but he got a job at low hours, and they get an FO in the next 12 months. He already worked hard to get his multi, and had built a few hours in type.

Moral of the story:
Where there is a will, there is a way. It is a pilot's market right now.

Back