CACI Questions

Dry Creek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dry Creek
Howdy,
prospective student pilot here, with questions. I am looking to schedule a "pre-examination" meeting with the local AME. Just from looking at the FAA 8710-1 and some online research, I kinda' figured out that I may need to complete two CACI (Conditions AME Can Issue) forms.

One for Hypothyroidism. I already have a statement from my PCP stating the condition is well controlled and listing the medication and dosage. The CACI for that seems to be pretty straightforward.

The other CACI is for Arthritis. Just a few years ago I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. I am on a minimal dose of Methotrexate. That also seems to be a pretty simple hurdle to surmount. I am waiting for the statement from my Rheumatologist for that CACI.

Would any of this on the surface appear to be something that would drag out a third-class medical? I know that one of my coworkers had neck fusion surgery just prior to his physical and his application, six months later, is still not approved. He isn't exactly sure what the delay is, but he suspects that it may be due to the fact he was prescribed Opioids after surgery. Based on that hunch, I specifically told my orthopedic surgeon not to prescribe any controlled substances for pain relief. I was prescribed 10 days worth of Hydrocodone after my first shoulder replacement this last July. I only took them for two days. The OIC is excruciating, and NSAIDs like Naproxin Sodium and Ibuprofen work so much better for me. Is this going to be another red flag? Opioid prescription six months ago?

As long as you aren’t prescribed opioids it shouldn’t be a issue. (Don’t go take a physical if you’re currently on them).

I was prescribed 5 days worth of OxyContin for a surgery was not an issue (didn’t even mention it as the form asks for medications currently being taken)

As long as you aren’t prescribed opioids it shouldn’t be a issue. (Don’t go take a physical if you’re currently on them).

I was prescribed 5 days worth of OxyContin for a surgery was not an issue (didn’t even mention it as the form asks for medications currently being taken)

Well, that's certainly a big relief. I had my PCP enter a note in my chart as being allergic to Opioids. He readily agreed to do that - may help prevent being prescribed them in the future!

Well, that's certainly a big relief. I had my PCP enter a note in my chart as being allergic to Opioids. He readily agreed to do that - may help prevent being prescribed them in the future!

I’m not a doctor, just a pilot. But imagine how ridiculous it would be if the FAA went after individuals prescribed pain medications for after surgery relief. Although it wouldn’t shock me if they started to put pilots prescribed pain meds for 5 days into HIMS for substance abuse.

But I believe medications are a problem when it’s a reoccurring disease, and you just self ground for pain meds. Someone smarter than me can probably validate that.

One for Hypothyroidism. I already have a statement from my PCP stating the condition is well controlled and listing the medication and dosage. The CACI for that seems to be pretty straightforward.…

I had one before BasicMed, not a big deal. You’ll want a TSH lab dated w/in 90 days of the date of your live AME physical that shows the actual numbers to go with the letter.

I have hypothyroid. Simple CACI with recent labs and simply saying you are compliant with med

I had one before BasicMed, not a big deal. You’ll want a TSH lab dated w/in 90 days of the date of your live AME physical that shows the actual numbers to go with the letter.

I have that now. I recently had blood testing done for my semi-annual checkup for the physician treating the disorder. The awesome thing about using Quest diagnostics is that they also have a feature that shows results over time. I can pull up two years worth of results showing normal TSH.

I have hypothyroid. Simple CACI with recent labs and simply saying you are compliant with med
Thanks for the reply!

I have that in order now, so all I need is to get my Rheumatologist to provide her statement, and present the latest labs I just had done in November that show normal liver function (ALT, AST).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back