Cable Internet

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I have a house with a separate unit inside to rent out. I get internet from the Cable company. They will only drop one feed per address. So I'll probably have to get a WiFi Router to cover both 'units.' Can I do it in a way where the units can't snoop on each other? I'll have to put the Router where it's accessible from both units for resets if needed because I'm often gone for extended periods of time? But I don't want the renters to be able to change settings. Is this doable? It's Cox Cable if that makes some difference?

You should be able to run the initial feed from the cable company's box first into a wired switch, then run one Cat5 from that switch to your wireless router, and another to the rental unit. That'll keep the renter off your wireless network entirely. The renter can then use the wired connection to the switch to run his/her own wireless router and create his/her own wireless network. If usage becomes an issue, swap the wired switch for a wired router with traffic management and give your side of the network more bandwidth.

You should be able to run the initial feed from the cable company's box first into a wired switch, then run one Cat5 from that switch to your wireless router, and another to the rental unit. That'll keep the renter off your wireless network entirely. The renter can then use the wired connection to the switch to run his/her own wireless router and create his/her own wireless network. If usage becomes an issue, swap the wired switch for a wired router with traffic management and give your side of the network more bandwidth.
Cat5??? The units have separate Cables going to them from a Junction Box outside. So I could put a splitter there and each unit would have it's own Cable coming in. So, yeah, I guess I could do that. No shared Router. Each could have it's own. But I already know I cannot set up two different accounts with Cox, only one per address. The units would share the same drop from the pole outside. Would what you describe likely work given there can only be one account with Cox?

Wifi router, separate SSID for each side of the house. Most modern wifi routers will do this.

You say the units have separate cables from the outside box. If you're talking about coax cable, I don't think you're going to be able to run separate cable modems for each side.

I have a house with a separate unit inside to rent out. I get internet from the Cable company. They will only drop one feed per address. So I'll probably have to get a WiFi Router to cover both 'units.' Can I do it in a way where the units can't snoop on each other? I'll have to put the Router where it's accessible from both units for resets if needed because I'm often gone for extended periods of time? But I don't want the renters to be able to change settings. Is this doable? It's Cox Cable if that makes some difference?

it's pretty straight forward to do, and there are multiple ways to get it done, but it really helps if you already are familar with the ins and outs of routers, and the like.

Sounds like you need a friend that knows routers, networks, etc to help you.

Of course, maybe there are good turn-key consumer options out there that have nice setup wizards...

is there only one internet provider in your area? I might be spoiled, I can chose between RCN, Comcast, Verizon (or whatever names they use now). At one time I had 2 different cable TV providers feeding my single family home.

the cat 5 is because the cable provider will only support one modem on the line (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case)

so....coax cable from the street to a MODEM
cat 5 (Ethernet...could be cat 6 or ??)) from that modem to the switch that bradg33 mentioned
then two ethernet cables from that switch....one to the rental unit and one to your personal router.
the renter plugs their own router into that ethernet cable form teh switch.

the issue I see with it is two wifi routers in close proximity could step on each other slowing the bandwidth for both of you...and you'd have no control over which channel they set their too....

Also, I don't know how real this isuue is...
but if the tenant does something illegal over the internet source...it comes back to you the subscriber

no point in using cat5, use cat5e or cat6... just in case the ISP ever provides more than 100mbits up or down.

If you can't get DSL over a phone line to the ADU...

I'd probably favor a router with a "Guest Network" feature, and provide the guest network access to the tenant.

Wifi router, separate SSID for each side of the house. Most modern wifi routers will do this.

You say the units have separate cables from the outside box. If you're talking about coax cable, I don't think you're going to be able to run separate cable modems for each side.
It's coax. Yeah, cable modems is what I meant when I said routers

it's pretty straight forward to do, and there are multiple ways to get it done, but it really helps if you already are familar with the ins and outs of routers, and the like.

Sounds like you need a friend that knows routers, networks, etc to help you.

Of course, maybe there are good turn-key consumer options out there that have nice setup wizards...

is there only one internet provider in your area? I might be spoiled, I can chose between RCN, Comcast, Verizon (or whatever names they use now). At one time I had 2 different cable TV providers feeding my single family home.
Ah Ha!! There is another option. Some fiber optic company just set up in the neighborhood a few months ago. Don't remember the name offhand but It'll be easy enough to find. Just gotta wait for another flyer to show up or spamemail. Probably showing up as I speak.

EDIT: It's Frontier with their "...new fiber gig service is here..."

Last edited:
the cat 5 is because the cable provider will only support one modem on the line (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case)

so....coax cable from the street to a MODEM
cat 5 (Ethernet...could be cat 6 or ??)) from that modem to the switch that bradg33 mentioned
then two ethernet cables from that switch....one to the rental unit and one to your personal router.
the renter plugs their own router into that ethernet cable form teh switch.

the issue I see with it is two wifi routers in close proximity could step on each other slowing the bandwidth for both of you...and you'd have no control over which channel they set their too....

Also, I don't know how real this isuue is...
but if the tenant does something illegal over the internet source...it comes back to you the subscriber
The house is wired with individual Coax Cables from the J-box out side. Running a new different kind of cables from there is not something I'm getting my head wrapped around. I dunno what Cat# I have other than it's the newer stuff. Newer as in not the stuff from like 20 years ago. RG6, 59 are numbers that come to mind.

Last edited:
If you can't get DSL over a phone line to the ADU...

I'd probably favor a router with a "Guest Network" feature, and provide the guest network access to the tenant.
Ah Ha !!!. DSL !!. That would kill two birds with one stone. I have no landline phone service to the building now. I tore out a lot of the internal phone wiring during some re-modeling recently. But I know there is some left in the walls to the downstairs unit which is in cell phone hell. I think DSL just might be the answer.

Frontier fiber internet is nice and fast. Didn’t like their tv service much but could be a good option.

Frontier fiber internet is nice and fast. Didn’t like their tv service much but could be a good option.
Thanks. I have other ways of getting TV and can share it with both units. It's the internet thing where it looks like separate providers will be needed to ensure security and allow the tenant access to dealing with problems when I'm not there.

Ah Ha !!!. DSL !!. That would kill two birds with one stone. I have no landline phone service to the building now. I tore out a lot of the internal phone wiring during some re-modeling recently. But I know there is some left in the walls to the downstairs unit which is in cell phone hell. I think DSL just might be the answer.
You have some catching up to do.

We still have our old phone number and analog "house" phones, despite my willingness/desire to get rid of them. Several years ago we switched from our cable company's phone service. It was costing us right around $50 a month after the "luxury extras" that they charged for -- such advanced features like caller ID, call waiting, etc. No voicemail or anything, just your basic feature set you'd expect from any phone. We dumped them and switched to Ooma; now it costs us about $15 a month all in, and we very very rarely get robocalls or telemarketers. Point is, there are dirt cheap voice over IP providers for your home phone. Hook that to cordless phones and you're good to go.

Cat5 Ethernet is obsolete. Most devices are now gigabit Ethernet, and Cat6 is just as cheap for all practical purposes. Run Cat6 or Cat6E if you need cable somewhere. Wifi has also gotten a whole lot faster over the years. Most modern wifi routers will let you run multiple SSIDs, which are essentially separate networks. Speeds are plenty fast to handle web browsing, phone calls, and streaming TV at the same time. The only sticky point would be giving the tenant the ability to power-cycle the router if you're gone.

We still have our old phone number and analog "house" phones, despite my willingness/desire to get rid of them. Several years ago we switched from our cable company's phone service. It was costing us right around $50 a month after the "luxury extras" that they charged for -- such advanced features like caller ID, call waiting, etc. No voicemail or anything, just your basic feature set you'd expect from any phone. We dumped them and switched to Ooma; now it costs us about $15 a month all in, and we very very rarely get robocalls or telemarketers. Point is, there are dirt cheap voice over IP providers for your home phone. Hook that to cordless phones and you're good to go.

Cat5 Ethernet is obsolete. Most devices are now gigabit Ethernet, and Cat6 is just as cheap for all practical purposes. Run Cat6 or Cat6E if you need cable somewhere. Wifi has also gotten a whole lot faster over the years. Most modern wifi routers will let you run multiple SSIDs, which are essentially separate networks. Speeds are plenty fast to handle web browsing, phone calls, and streaming TV at the same time. The only sticky point would be giving the tenant the ability to power-cycle the router if you're gone.
Ok. Voice over IP. I've heard of it but don't know much about it. Sounds like that would be a good solution. I definitely need something where the tenant can 'power-cycle the router' or the Modem or whatever, or anything else that is needed. But with no connection to the main part of the house's service. Tenants will come and go. The service will be in my name but they need to be able call tech support if needed.

I think this should work without any special configuration. In addition to the main Internet router you will need a second home style router that has an Ethernet WAN port. Connect that port to one of the Internet router's inside ports.Private-Landlord-Tennant-Network.png

You will be pretty well protected from anything on the tenant side by the NAT. If the router supports firewall features then you could enable that for even more protection. Normal internet browsing will be fine through the double NAT but some things might not work, e.g. corporate VPN. Maybe Nest, Ring doorbell, cameras - no idea.

Cat5E runs gigabit just as well as CAT6, to the same length even. I wouldn’t buy new cat5e over cat6, but wouldn’t hesitate to use cat5e if that’s what I had on hand.

Only real world advantage to cat6 is 10 gig support, which is not something that most any home user would need.

Cat5E runs gigabit just as well as CAT6, to the same length even. I wouldn’t buy new cat5e over cat6, but wouldn’t hesitate to use cat5e if that’s what I had on hand.

Only real world advantage to cat6 is 10 gig support, which is not something that most any home user would need.

just don't confuse Cat5 with Cat5E.

Hi Jesse,

Please excuse the fact that this post is not germaine to the conversation above. My name is Christian Gurling and I curate an aviation museum here in Tillamook, Oregon (the Tillamook Air Museum). Our Museum recently acquired a 1942 PT-17 Stearman (N59295). From research conducted into the particular history of this aircraft, it appears to have previously been owned by Captain Johnny Vasey, who, if I understand correctly, was a relative of yours? If you could please contact me at your convenience at CGurling(AT)Tillamookair.com or 503-842-5793 it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

Huh.

@jesse grew up in a crop dusting family, so hardly beyond the realm of possibility.

Ok. Voice over IP. I've heard of it but don't know much about it. Sounds like that would be a good solution. I definitely need something where the tenant can 'power-cycle the router' or the Modem or whatever, or anything else that is needed.

I have Ooma as well. $99 for the box (2 years ago) and $6/month afterward. The quality has been great.

We have all of our networking in the basement and occasionally have to reset the system. I just bought a remote control switch with two key fobs that we keep upstairs. It plugs into the UPS and the power strip that runs the network switch, modem, router, Ooma plugs into it, so with one switch, everything resets.

DEWENWILS Remote Control Outlet with 2 Wireless Remotes, Weatherproof Remote Control Light Switch, 15 Amp Heavy Duty 2 FT Long Extension Cord, 100 FT, No Interference, UL Listed https://a.co/d/0Ycwki8

I think this should work without any special configuration. In addition to the main Internet router you will need a second home style router that has an Ethernet WAN port. Connect that port to one of the Internet router's inside ports.View attachment 108121

You will be pretty well protected from anything on the tenant side by the NAT. If the router supports firewall features then you could enable that for even more protection. Normal internet browsing will be fine through the double NAT but some things might not work, e.g. corporate VPN. Maybe Nest, Ring doorbell, cameras - no idea.
Thx

I have Ooma as well. $99 for the box (2 years ago) and $6/month afterward. The quality has been great.

We have all of our networking in the basement and occasionally have to reset the system. I just bought a remote control switch with two key fobs that we keep upstairs. It plugs into the UPS and the power strip that runs the network switch, modem, router, Ooma plugs into it, so with one switch, everything resets.

DEWENWILS Remote Control Outlet with 2 Wireless Remotes, Weatherproof Remote Control Light Switch, 15 Amp Heavy Duty 2 FT Long Extension Cord, 100 FT, No Interference, UL Listed https://a.co/d/0Ycwki8
Thx

Thx

Back