Cabin Creek - Almost like being there

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I know we have some Idaho / Montana back country pilots here. This video was uploaded today to YouTube, and I recommend going to YouTube and watching there in HQ, widescreen. It was filmed in HD and is VERY good quality... almost like being there.

That is good quality, and a good video. I haven't been in to Cabin Creek as yet.

Wow thanks for posting the vid! That has got to look cool in real-world 3D! Maybe someday.

Looks above my skill set. But do have a question.

Where was the turbulence? I have flown low over water, but never over mountainous terrain like that. I have always expected alot of wind and turbulence in canyons like that.

Where was the turbulence? I have flown low over water, but never over mountainous terrain like that. I have always expected alot of wind and turbulence in canyons like that.

Generally, such flying is done early in the day, before the wind currents really pick up, because when they do it not only gets bumpy, it can get quite dangerous.

When I landed here...

web.jpg

... while taking a mountain flying course, the instructor said "If we feel so much as a whiff of a breeze, we're outta here." We departed at about 12:30 PM local time and were able to use the developing air currents to our advantage in a couple of spots.

Here's the departure video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bOYdPMsZg

Nice video - and thanks for the clarification. I deemed air in the valley to be dangerous as well.

Funny note - I watched you for the first 1 min 30 seconds wondering how close you were going to come to those trees, before realizing you were still on the ground :)

<snip>
Funny note - I watched you for the first 1 min 30 seconds wondering how close you were going to come to those trees, before realizing you were still on the ground :)

:) He was skidding the turns a bunch wasn't he :)

I learned to fly in the mountains of Interior BC. You learn to deal with wind and turbulence, or you'll seldom fly.. The wind will travel up and down slopes (stay away from the descending air) and if it's strong enough in steep terrain, it will form rotors that will try to roll the airplane over. A rough ride indeed.

Here's where I learned to fly:

Kamloops2.JPG

I've flown through this pass a few times, once in 30-knot winds. Wham, bam, up and down. Prefer not to do that. Deep and narrow.
mikew5j-albums-golden-quartz-april-3-6-09-picture5220-view-rogers-pass.jpg

Note the highway in the bottom. Lends some perspective as to the awesome ruggedness of the terrain. It's 5500' (more than a mile) deep, between the highway and peaks in this shot.

Both of these pics were taken by other folks, not me. I usually forget to take my camera...

Dan

Last edited:

Light or no winds = little or no turbulence.

Back