CA-6Y9 Northern route

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Mom is out. :(

I have either a IFR C-150 with GMN 430 or IFR PA-24-250 for my ride. Outbound would be Los Angeles to Provo/SLC. Then where...?

I haven't yet checked the outbound routing yet so I would ask here for local advice. I'm thinking day VFR only until clear of the Rockies.

Return trip would be to ABQ and AZ to visit friends. I know that route well enough.

As crazy at it sounds I'm actually leaning towards the C-150. Something about the challenge to skill....

Follow I-80 Eastbound. Once you get over the mountains east of SLC, you can pretty much fly around all the rest of the high stuff.

If you want a cool stop in WY, I suggest Thermopolis (KTHP). The airport is very cool (runway is sloped, and is between 2 hills; the traffic pattern is outside of the hills), the FBO is great, and there's a natural hot spring. We stayed for several hours at the hot spring. We also camped on the field.

Kimberly, Tim is suggesting I too take the metal tube like you.

I'd rather put my ass in my hands than that of some perverted federal jackboot.

Last edited:
As crazy at it sounds I'm actually leaning towards the C-150. Something about the challenge to skill....

I'm all for adventure and what-not, but I'm more against numb-butt-disease. Of course, I'm a little biased against the C-150/2, since I don't really get 'in' those planes, I pretty much 'wear' them. ;)

I don't know which airport I hate more - Oakland or SFO.

I don't know which airport I hate more - Oakland or SFO.

I love Oakland because it is smaller. Actually, I'm strange, I love all airports because it means I am going somewhere and I don't do that often. The last time I personally flew was 2005 and the only reason I've been to airports since then would have been to drop people off or pick people up. The international terminal at SFO is really cool.

I'm all for adventure and what-not, but I'm more against numb-butt-disease. Of course, I'm a little biased against the C-150/2, since I don't really get 'in' those planes, I pretty much 'wear' them. ;)
I don't even remember the last time I was in a 150/152. As for numb butt, I'm giving myself up to one week for just the outbound leg.

I think it idiotic of one pilot to tell another pilot to take the metal tube. After all, most of us know it's often that the journey is the destination. Taking the airlines the biggest challenge is devising new ways to 1) find the cheapest ticket; 2) to avoid the federally sanctioned molestation.

I guess that makes me a high sensation seeker since I prefer to fly myself. I put myself on the "will fly" list. I am dangerous.

Last edited:

This is how my instructor described to me the 152 which I love to death.

He said:

"Kimberly, when you fly the 152, you wear the 152. When you fly the 172, it wears you."

The problem though, is GA is a very expensive way to fly long distances. I fly mostly to get from point A to point B. If it's someplace out of the way and within bladder range, I do the flying. If it's someplace that Southwest flies to, I can't fly it nearly as cheap as they can.

The problem though, is GA is a very expensive way to fly long distances. I fly mostly to get from point A to point B. If it's someplace out of the way and within bladder range, I do the flying. If it's someplace that Southwest flies to, I can't fly it nearly as cheap as they can.

How small is your bladder's range?

Mom is out. :(

I have either a IFR C-150 with GMN 430 or IFR PA-24-250 for my ride. Outbound would be Los Angeles to Provo/SLC. Then where...?

I haven't yet checked the outbound routing yet so I would ask here for local advice. I'm thinking day VFR only until clear of the Rockies.

Return trip would be to ABQ and AZ to visit friends. I know that route well enough.

Go to skyvector.com and watch for the canyon that leads from Provo to Heber city, then its just a matter of staying between the rocks up to Evanston ( big wide shallow valley) and it's all down hill from there to the flatlands. and direct Saginaw. plan your fuel stops in Airnav.com.

This is what that canyon looks like going the other way.

Attachments

• Texas Trip 99 034.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 034.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Texas Trip 99 035.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 035.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Texas Trip 99 036.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 036.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Texas Trip 99 037.jpg
    Texas Trip 99 037.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

yeah, but, you can do it at your own pace and have a lot of fun meeting folks along the way.

Kimberly, Tim is suggesting I too take the metal tube like you.

I'd rather put my ass in my hands than that of some perverted federal jackboot.

The image of you with your hands on your ass... scenes from Cruising come to mind...:eek::eek::eek:. You ought to take the Comanche and pick her up on the way.

Last edited:
Since when has affordability been a reason? 99.99999 of boaters make, at best, the occasional 3 hour tour. The same can be said of pilots and the pattern. Then they act like those others did something really super awesome like challenging falling off the edge of the world.

Fill your life with stories and when you reflect on them you can smile. At least you would never run out of stories for a dull office party. Always good for free drinks and such. Now how much would you pay?

The image of you with your hands on your ass... scenes from Cruising come to mind...:eek::eek::eek:. You ought to take the Comanche and pick her up on the way.
So I pick "her" up. Here's an image;

"I gotta go."

"What, again? Well, use the pad. I won't watch."

"Ewwwww. Please land, okay."

sigh

"Can we find a different airport this one is icky. I mean it's really gross."

Seeya.......

"I gotta go."

sigh

Seeya.......
No this is good, after a cross country flight of this... Ed will look really good to Kimberly.

???!??!??!??!?

If you're going to spend money on gas to fly around the pattern, why not spend it to go somewhere interesting?

Since I started flying again, all of our family vacations have been by GA. When I break down the cost it is almost a wash for my family of 5. But I get the benefit of flying and the flying budget provides the funds for a family vacation, so we get double duty out of the money.

Quite frankly, I can't stand just flying around the local area. I kinda find it to be a waste of time and money and I even live in one of the awesomest flying environments.

???!??!??!??!?

If you're going to spend money on gas to fly around the pattern, why not spend it to go somewhere interesting?

Since I started flying again, all of our family vacations have been by GA. When I break down the cost it is almost a wash for my family of 5. But I get the benefit of flying and the flying budget provides the funds for a family vacation, so we get double duty out of the money.

Quite frankly, I can't stand just flying around the local area. I kinda find it to be a waste of time and money and I even live in one of the awesomest flying environments.

I agree, I don't fly around in the pattern. It's just that a cross country (real cross country) trip is just cost ineffective that's all. If you have the time, knock yourself out.

"I gotta go."

sigh

Seeya.......

I'll bet she can at least do a behind the wing squat....

I'll bet she can at least do a behind the wing squat....

OMG please. I can hold my pee longer than any pilot on this website. And I am not flying in a rental plane with some pilot I've never met - for a week long trek across the USA.

At least prior to getting in a small plane for a short cross country with Ed I'll have a few days to get to know him before climbing in the right seat. Plus, he is very familiar with the route.

OMG please. I can hold my pee longer than any pilot on this website. And I am not flying in a rental plane with some pilot I've never met - for a week long trek across the USA.

At least prior to getting in a small plane for a short cross country with Ed I'll have a few days to get to know him before climbing in the right seat. Plus, he is very familiar with the route.

Why not?
2780603171_aabe3a7606_o.jpg

I think you just answered your own question there Henning.

That picture was taken during a free ride from LA to LV, guess who's in the pic...? When I got back from Aus a few years back I got rides across the country from several stranger/pilots (and stranger yet pilots...;)). Lots of good people to catch rides with. It was a fun way to cross the country.

Once again you apparently think this thread is about you. Don't you, don't you, don't you? :rofl:

Well the trick is to see if she'll have one eye on the mirror while she watches herself gavotte....

And are there any other songs that use "gavotte" in the lyrics?

Well the trick is to see if she'll have one eye on the mirror while she watches herself gavotte....

And are there any other songs that use "gavotte" in the lyrics?
I should hope not. Well, I guess maybe at a good polka playing pizza joint somewhere in the UP.

I cannot help but imagine the cultural shock of one CA girl who has never crossed a state line in her entire 30+ years. It certainly will be a Kodak moment.

???!??!??!??!?

There's an advantage to having multiple people in your airplane. 5 tickets on SW DEN-LAS is $400+ or $2K. Fuel for a Commanche or 235 (forget which one you have) is about 5 hours, 12 gph or under $800 RT total. So for the price of two SW ticket, you've taken the entire family, know exactly where your luggage is, and are on your own schedule.

My trip back to BUF was $600 on SW and about 7 hrs door to door. In my cherokee, $1300 in fuel and 2 days (12 hrs flight time) with an extra hotel stay each way for about $1400+. No discussion, I took SW.

See Post #3. He started it. I wasn't even going to write anything until he dragged me into this. Geez. Oh and I grew up in SF with all cultures. The culture shock will not be that big of a deal.

Last edited:
See Post #3. He started it. I wasn't even going to write anything until he dragged me into this. Geez. Oh and I grew up in SF with all cultures. The culture shock will be not be that big of a deal.
:rofl:

But you haven't had dim or dim dum. And beer IS a food group. So much to learn.

Why do you think I want to go? And I've been there! :D

My advice isn't with routing... My advice is, take the plane to 9,500 (or better yet, 11,500). See how long it takes to get there, how fast (or not) you're going when you get there (TAS), and what your climb rate is when you get there. Oh, and how much fuel it takes you to get there! Then, with all that in mind, figure out what your range will be with a 30-knot headwind, and see if there's actually airports close enough together along your route to make fuel stops.

And then, decide to take the Comanche. ;) (I'm only half joking.)

Terrain's fairly low going that way, too.

Just remember, all the skill in the world won't make a C150 out-climb a 300+ fpm downdraft at 10,000 feet... And there'll be plenty of them.

I think the greater challenge will be convincing yourself to sit in a C150 seat for the gazillion-odd hours the trip is going to take. Talk about butthurt... :yikes:

BTW, what airport are you leaving from?

When rough-planning the route (IE, no fuel stops or sightseeing yet), I come up with this:

(Departure airport) L67 HESPE DAG KVGT MLF KPVU 36U 38UT KEVW 6Y9

That'll be flyable the whole way at 9500 MSL.

Or, you could follow I-15 all the way to Provo. That'll work at 9,500 too, though you'll be just east of some big rocks between Vegas and Provo so it might be a very bumpy ride.

Back