C85 checking for corrosion

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
is there anyway to look for corrosion? Obviously you can borescope the cylinders. Is there any way to check out the bottom end without pulling a cylinder?

is there anyway to look for corrosion? Obviously you can borescope the cylinders. Is there any way to check out the bottom end without pulling a cylinder?
in short - no .

Is this a tapered shaft, or flanged? Corrosion forward of the nose seal is very serious in these little Continental engines.

Not sure but when I find out what is preferable? And which is which?

Another question in addition to the above.
Logbook says:
Major overhaul...crankshaft reground .010 cylinders reground +.015

Assuming they were still serviceable would they still have another "regrinding" in them? Or would they need to be chromed? or other? at the next overhaul.

Last edited:
Another question in addition to the above.
Logbook says:
Major overhaul...crankshaft reground to .010 cylinders reground +.015

Assuming they were still serviceable would they still have another "regrinding" in them? Or would they need to be chromed? or other? at the next overhaul.
.010" under is all you can do with out using Superior's STC to go .020".
(I don't know if this STC applies to the C-85)
Plus .015" is as large as you can go, there are no + .020 Pistons.
There is a 0-200 upgrade STC, which get's you a 0-200 crank, and cylinders, and a major case alteration.

Last edited:
So does that mean when this thing needs to be rebuilt it will need a crank and all new cylinders? Or is there another way to refurbish them? Say chrome or other at a reasonable cost? As I mentioned in another thread possibly buying this plane engine is an old rebuild. Hoping to fly it a bunch since it at least seems to be running well now but thinking of the future when I need to rebuild it is it going to cost me a ton more than it otherwise would.

On the other hand if the parts aren't serviceable all the more reason to run it as much as possible.

So does that mean when this thing needs to be rebuilt it will need a crank and all new cylinders? Or is there another way to refurbish them? Say chrome or other at a reasonable cost? As I mentioned in another thread possibly buying this plane engine is an old rebuild. Hoping to fly it a bunch since it at least seems to be running well now but thinking of the future when I need to rebuild it is it going to cost me a ton more than it otherwise would.

On the other hand if the parts aren't serviceable all the more reason to run it as much as possible.
It may run for ever, You just never know.
Most of these old engines you'll not salvage much on re-build. Owners simply repair and keep them running and never actually overhaul to rebuilt standards.

Back