C421 down in Canton, GA

Sad. Weather shouldn't have been a factor, clear and cold last night. RIP.

Wow.
How do you do that? That pond is due west of the rwy 5 end. He was either very low on base or got offset to rwy by 500' and hit the pond.
Very weird place to ball up a twin, unless no more fuel and trying to make the field.
RIP.

Wow.
How do you do that? That pond is due west of the rwy 5 end. He was either very low on base or got offset to rwy by 500' and hit the pond.
Very weird place to ball up a twin, unless no more fuel and trying to make the field.
RIP.

Yes it is, isn't it? The runway is built on top of a ridge a bit. Used to fly a C172 I'd rent from there.

It sounds like he was low and caught the powerlines. That there was a fire but there's no obvious fire damage kind of points toward fuel exhaustion.

That's the thing, those are residential power lines. Like 30' up. And he would have been on base or offset to end up there. He should have never been there at that height during anything close to a normal approach.

Maybe he had issue and lost SA or something.

Yes it is, isn't it? The runway is built on top of a ridge a bit. Used to fly a C172 I'd rent from there.
The ground does slope away from the runway and it can really mess with you, especially at night. But he shouldn't ever be around there at power line height. Either he messed up or plane had issue.either way sad outcome.
5000' of asphalt was like 500' away

Sad RIP to the pilot and condolences to his family. I fly in there 10+ times a year for mx or just for fuel. I flew earlier in the day yesterday into FTY and the wind was BLOWING out of the NW around noon, 32 at 12 gusting to 22 I think was the ATIS at county. Wind coming off the mountains can really make it interesting at KCNI.

Sad RIP to the pilot and condolences to his family. I fly in there 10+ times a year for mx or just for fuel. I flew earlier in the day yesterday into FTY and the wind was BLOWING out of the NW around noon, 32 at 12 gusting to 22 I think was the ATIS at county. Wind coming off the mountains can really make it interesting at KCNI.

It was after midnight. I'm thinking the wind had died down by then but I don't if it did.

Last edited:
It was midnight. I'm thinking the wind had died down by then but I don't if it did.
Yeah, I was asleep by then. Reports that he had just purchased the airplane and was bringing it home. :(

Back