C182T Cabin Heat

JTFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JTFlyer
Fall is in the air, and a young man's thoughts turn to... cabin heat.

I have plenty of it in my 2004 C182T, in fact I have too much. With the heat pulled on, it becomes overwhelming after a few minutes, and it's nearly impossible to find a plunger position that yields only a moderate amount of cabin heat, so I end up having to manually cycle it on and off during the flight.

Anyone with suggestions on how to moderate the heat, mechanical or otherwise?

Fly north. Then south. Then north again. Then south.

nyone with suggestions on how to moderate the heat, mechanical or otherwise?
Are you using your cabin heat and cabin air controls togather to mix the air or only using your heat control with the cabin air control off/closed? Using both should get you the temp you want. I don't know about your model specifically but most Cessna POH's explain the mixing operation in the POH. Ch 7 I think.

Are you using your cabin heat and cabin air controls togather to mix the air or only using your heat control with the cabin air control off/closed? Using both should get you the temp you want. I don't know about your model specifically but most Cessna POH's explain the mixing operation in the POH. Ch 7 I think.
Yup.

upload_2022-9-30_9-39-20.png

It truly amazes me how many pilots never look at the POH/AFM. Ever. And how many airplanes don't even have one, despite the regulations requiring it to be on board. And current. And accessible.

upload_2022-9-30_9-47-36.png

Last edited:
Yes, I find that mixing certainly helps (especially when flying through very cold air), but the heat setting still seems overly sensitive. The plunger action is also quite stiff around the mid-point, adding to the difficulty of making fine adjustments. I'll ask my mechanic to check that it's as smooth as designed. Thx

The plunger action is also quite stiff around the mid-point, adding to the difficulty of making fine adjustments.
Usually a little lube and cable realignment will smooth that out. Maybe have the entire cabin heat/cabin air controls looked over for any issues?

I flew the wheel pants off of an 07' C182T...there is a range of "micrometers" that you will be comfortable...experiment or the wax in your ears will melt!

Fall is in the air, and a young man's thoughts turn to... cabin heat.

I have plenty of it in my 2004 C182T, in fact I have too much. With the heat pulled on, it becomes overwhelming after a few minutes, and it's nearly impossible to find a plunger position that yields only a moderate amount of cabin heat, so I end up having to manually cycle it on and off during the flight.

Anyone with suggestions on how to moderate the heat, mechanical or otherwise?
Lube both cables up good...

If it’s like most Cessnas you adjust the cable length by moving the cable sheath in a firewall clamp block to make it longer or shorter. It’s quite sensitive and just a little off can make the control hard or even jam it completely. I remove that block to change oil so I’m VERY familiar with the adjustment.

Back