C182 Spark arrestor

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
my 182 is in pre buy right now. The shop doing the inspection said the muffler is missing a spark arrestor. The shop that normally does my maintenance doesn’t think that the 182’s normally have an arrestor, but admits they don’t know everything. Figured someone on this site would know. Thanks in advance.

Jim.

I know there is something like that in some 185s, though most on floats don't have them.

my 182 is in pre buy right now. The shop doing the inspection said the muffler is missing a spark arrestor. The shop that normally does my maintenance doesn’t think that the 182’s normally have an arrestor, but admits they don’t know everything. Figured someone on this site would know. Thanks in advance.

Jim.

And the Cessna part number is?

Also if you end up getting exhaust stuff, I'd highly recommend the heavy duty acorn welding stuff.

Our 182 has a flame cone in the muffler, and it is something that our IAs check every annual. Unfortunately, 3 times in the last 14 years the flame cone has been found to be either damaged or basically gone...

Our 182 has a flame cone in the muffler, and it is something that our IAs check every annual. Unfortunately, 3 times in the last 14 years the flame cone has been found to be either damaged or basically gone...

Exhaust components are consumable, hence the reason they need to be checked periodically. Depending on the quality of the replacement parts, some last longer than others.

It appears that it is needed, guess I get to buy a new muffler for the buyer. Doing some reading, I came across a post that claims 50% of the 182’s in the air are missing the arrestor. I believe it, if I had to guess, mine has been signed off by 3 a&p’s with it missing.

Jim

I just did an annual inspection on a 182 and the arrestor was missing from the muffler, the owner asked why the previous mechanic didn't find it,
I don't know, I wasn't there, maybe it was there last year

Back