C182 hire rates?

Aussie Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mac
A mate and I are planning a flying holiday across the u.s around the time of airventure next year. We are looking for some advise about the best place to hire a 182 for about a three week period in June/July 2015 and are planning to fly approximately 50 to 60 hours in that time. As we are coming from Australia we are very flexible with pick up and drop off locations. If anyone could give us any idea on rates wet or dry and what we can expect to pay for avgas/ landing fees. One of us is a cpl with twin time and over 2500 hours it that makes any difference

Thanks and happy flying,

Mac

Welcome to POA!

Check out www.airnav.com for a good idea on fuel costs across the US...there is a trip planner based on fuel costs as well...http://airnav.com/plan/fuel/

Landing fees in the US are rare..."handling fees" are often waived with fuel purchases...

Sit tight..you will get some very good answers to your question here on POA.

Once you figure out your routes and dates, keep us informed. Many of us PoA folk would be happy to meet with ya and share stories, meals, and libations.

Try Plus One Flyers in San Diego, they have a large diverse fleet and are used to deals like this.

http://www.plusoneflyers.org/fleet/montgomery-fleet

There's a bit of a catch to that though. Plus One is a club, not a rental company. You'll have to join, which is easy. The tough part is finding a plane that's available for that block of time. Most of the planes in the club are used for training a lot, and are booked A LOT. Many of the 172s fly close to 100hours per month. A 182 is probably easier to get time in than a 172, but you'll still probably wanna contact the owner of the plane directly about it well ahead of time.

If you do decide to try Plus One let me know. I'm a member and can let you know which planes are best. Some are definitely nicer than others.

Not sure about the 182 rental, but avgas is running around 5.50+- in my neck of the woods. I'm sure prices are different out west however.

There's a bit of a catch to that though. Plus One is a club, not a rental company. You'll have to join, which is easy. The tough part is finding a plane that's available for that block of time. Most of the planes in the club are used for training a lot, and are booked A LOT. Many of the 172s fly close to 100hours per month. A 182 is probably easier to get time in than a 172, but you'll still probably wanna contact the owner of the plane directly about it well ahead of time.

If you do decide to try Plus One let me know. I'm a member and can let you know which planes are best. Some are definitely nicer than others.

They were offering me a good deal on using the PA-46 on a long range 'no minimums' trips for a month at a time.

Around LA, there are bent-leg 182s for $190/hr wet and new-start T182Ts with glass for $230/hr.

Most places would be thrilled to have them flying daily for 3 weeks or so.

Where are you flying in to? Do you have destinations in mind or looking for suggestions?

West Air Aviation in Las Vegas is experienced with rentals such as the OP desires.
They have a 210HP T-41B, not exactly a C-182 but it flies like one and is a popular rental with the new GTN750.

Thanks so much guys, your help is really fantastic. I was looking at the plus one flyers web site and it's seams we are spoilt for choice. Can anyone tell me if the rates stated are "wet" ? Also if anyone has flown either. N133BW. Or N1784R or N210BX. I would love to know your thoughts. As for the destinations we are still very much in the planing stages and are very open to suggestion, the only sure thing we are 100% on is flying to oshkosh for airventure. I drove in this year and was blown away :yikes:, you yanks sure know how to put on a air show!

Thanks again

Mac

Mac, the Plus One rates are wet, so long as they accept your PPL and are OK with a short term membership it would be good, be advised they require an initiation/safety meeting and checkout but they can be somewhat flexible from a schedule standpoint from what I understand.

Another option in the San Diego area is First Flight Corp (www.firstflightcorp.com) at Brown Field (KSDM) with a 182 for $120/hr wet. Might be worth looking at for a long term lease, ask for Tom. Their 182 is an honest flier.

'Gimp

Re: Places worth seeing?

Also if anyone has any ideas of good places to visit along the way, We are two guys in there late 20's that like airplanes, fast cars, good bars/nightlife, cold beers and hot women lol. :rofl:

Thanks Mac

Last edited:
Re: Places worth seeing?

Also if anyone has any ideas of good places to visit along the way, We are two guys in there late 20's that like airplanes, fast cars, good bars/nightlife, cold beers and hot women lol. :rofl:

Thanks Mac

Cairns is nice for that.

All of the Plus one planes are owned by individuals, not by the club itself, so it's possible to work something out directly with the owner of the plane you'd like to use for a trip like this. You will have to join the club, which is about $100 + $30/month. There's no minimum membership length that I know of though. All the rates you see are wet, but if you refuel somewhere other than home base there is a cap on the per gallon cost they will credit you. Currently it's $6.25/gallon.

We definitely have quite a variety of planes, and many of them are very well equipped. Club policies are pretty simple and fair as well. I've yet to meet anyone who was really unhappy about it overall.

I think Plus One is an example that should be spread all across the country. There are so many good planes that just sit in hangars because there is no good infrastructure to deal with their use. GA is one thing that really could benefit from a 'communist approach', it would become a lot more efficient. You really only need 6 or so models of planes to serve 85% of GA applications.

If I could go to the airport here, get in a plane and drop it off at an airport over there, then GA will have fully developed into something really useful to me.

Anyone know a good place to rent on the south east coast? We are playing with the idea of starting from that side

Thanks

Mac

Anyone know a good place to rent on the south east coast? We are playing with the idea of starting from that side

Thanks

Mac

Much more difficult from the southeast. 20 years ago it was much easier to do what you plan, in the last decade though, the amount of rentals that aren't your 172/PA-28-161 class trainers has really declined. I live in South Florida and don't know of an operation down here that can fill your needs.

Thanks

Mac

Superior Flight School at KRYY near Atlanta has a steam gauge 182, N1297S for $200/hr wet. I checked the schedule and its only booked 1 day in the next 2 weeks. I don't think it flies a whole bunch. They might be open to a multi-week rental.

www.superiorflight.com

Good luck,

I'd recommend avoiding Sunstate Aviation.

Their primary business is 141 flight training and as a result put a lot of restrictions on rentals.

FWIW, I asked about daily minimums and other typical rental issues with Sun State and I was told that the 182 either was wide open or rented for weeks at a time with pilots coming from Europe. I know that you had issues with their C-172 and I understand why. I was thinking they maybe more flexible with the C-182. I was told that they might work with me based on what was in the books at the time. It was awhile ago.

I rent the 1999 C-182 from Van Anada. It's a nice plane. They have rented it for months at a time. They did a deal with someone in New York State to use it to get somebody's instrument ticket.

Last edited:
FWIW, I asked about daily minimums and other typical rental issues with Sun State and I was told that the 182 either was wide open or rented for weeks at a time with pilots coming from Europe. I know that you had issues with their C-172 and I understand why. I was thinking they maybe more flexible with the C-182. I was told that they might work with me based on what was in the books at the time. It was awhile ago.

I rent the 1999 C-182 from Van Anada. It's a nice plane. They have rented it for months at a time. They did a deal with someone in New York State to use it to get somebody's instrument ticket.

In terms of restrictions I was referring to requirements in rental agreement to only land at airports with paved runways greater than 3000' that have on field services and no flights to the Keys.

The language in the documentation appeared to apply to all rentals.

However it's fully possible that if to commit to paying for 50 hours in their 182 they may be willing to make exceptions.

Back