C177 Cardinal Question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The small triangle window. Does it open and function like the old wing window vents on the 80's and earlier trucks?

It's hinged along the aft side and opens outward. Per the 1968 Cardinal owners manual, "Each window can be opened at speeds up to 120 MPH by rotating the crank located below the window."

The Cardinal's vent windows are nice. They are the only openable windows on a Cardinal. The mechanism is flimsy, though, and cranking that little knob is more awkward than opening the big side windows of a C-172.

For summertime ventilation it beats a Cherokee hands-down. But I'd rather have the C-172's openable side windows ... or a Grumman's canopy. :)

They're also placarded to not be opened above 105 kts. So yep, in the pattern they're nice, and on the ground, but useless in cruise (of course, at altitude, it's probably cool enough that all you need is the vents).

Unfortunately they don't do much until the fan is turning. This leads to the temptation of leaving the door open and unattended to cool the cabin which is a big no no! If I have passengers I put them on "door duty".

I haven't tried flying the pattern with the vent windows open.

Unfortunately they don't do much until the fan is turning. This leads to the temptation of leaving the door open and unattended to cool the cabin which is a big no no! If I have passengers I put them on "door duty".

I haven't tried flying the pattern with the vent windows open.

Ah yes....the dreaded Cardinal 'door watch'!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I miss those triangle vent windows. I suppose the general addition of air conditioning to almost all cars killed them.

The Cardinal's doors can simultaneously be the best and worst feature... They certainly make life easy for passengers getting in and out, or loading cargo onto the back seat or over the back seat into the baggage area. But those big doors can catch the wind and you must keep them from slamming back because the hinge *will* break $$$$.

The Cardinal's doors can simultaneously be the best and worst feature... They certainly make life easy for passengers getting in and out, or loading cargo onto the back seat or over the back seat into the baggage area. But those big doors can catch the wind and you must keep them from slamming back because the hinge *will* break $$$$.
The door thing was one of the most important points that was drilled into my head when I did my checkout in a 177RG.

Not only are they rather huge doors, but unlike 172s and 182s, there are no wing struts to stop them when the wind grabs one.

Is there any solution for this in the aftermarket? Something like we see on car/truck doors that will keep the door from swinging past a particular point?

I can think of a "low tech" strap idea I would attach to the kick panel and door panel.

Is there any solution for this in the aftermarket? Something like we see on car/truck doors that will keep the door from swinging past a particular point?

I believe there is. Check out Cardinal Flyers Online.

Back