C175 flipped with pax holding 7 mo old baby in Utah

Good ending, anyway. The baby should have been left behind. No reason for the baby to be there, especially since there wasn't any room to belt in a baby seat.

Good ending, anyway. The baby should have been left behind. No reason for the baby to be there, especially since there wasn't any room to belt in a baby seat.

Infant in arms is legal on airliners, under the age of 2. Don't agree with it, but it is.

Infant in arms is legal on airliners, under the age of 2. Don't agree with it, but it is.

Yeah, I am not a lawyer. I couldn't speak to the legality of it, I can just see no purpose to putting a 7 month old at risk for a sight seeing flight, especially since he was not properly secured.

From another news article...

Lieutenant Brian Locke, with the Cache County Sheriff’s office said that cold weather appears to be the cause. “The plane started experiencing some icing in the carburetor,” said Locke. “When [the pilot] went to adjust the carburetor to de-ice it, he thinks that a lot of the ice just broke loose and the engine just cut off completely.” Locke added, “at that particular point he started looking for a place to land.”

Some good reading for carb guys and gals out there.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/carb_heat.htm

Weather around the time of the accident...

2:05 pm Sat Temp 25°, HUMIDITY: 78%, WIND: Calm, VISIBILITY: 7.0 mi, DEW POINT: 19°, PRESSURE: 30.46 in hg

Did the plane roll over slowly? I'm amazed (but relieved) that the baby didn't get rattled around the inside of the plane.

It appeared from the ground scars that the nose was up in the air after the nose gear broke off, for a very short time anyway. The engine mount, airframe and partially frozen earth absorbed a lot. From the looks of the vertical stab and tailcone, they absorbed a bunch of the impact too. The one video said the baby slipped out of his Dads hands a little bit and they had to pull his pants back on him. I wish all crashes turned out this good for the pilot/passengers.

Did the plane roll over slowly? I'm amazed (but relieved) that the baby didn't get rattled around the inside of the plane.

Probably. Lots of resistance to flipping from the elevator and wings. Its not going to flip like a car.

So much for her birthday gift. Poor woman. I imagine she won't fly again.

Personally, I won't allow an unsecured occupant in my plane, regardless of the regulation. They're a danger to themselves and others. Basically, they can become missiles in the event of a crash. Here's the video for non-mobile users:

Last edited:

It is not safe, doesn't matter that it is technically legal. Lap babies are not safe, I've read too many disturbing stories about injured or killed lap babies. Glad to read the baby in this story wasn't injured.

This is how my six month old flew to Germany last year. If I couldn't afford to buy her a ticket, I would not have gone.

Attachments

• DSC01143.jpg
    DSC01143.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 208
So the engine quit? If that happens I guess things start cooling down pretty quickly. Is there anything else to do besides keeping carb heat on and trying to restart?

I did read some of that website (http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/carb_heat.htm) and it said to turn the mags off then on but I got the impression that was to misfire the engine when it was running.

Last edited:
So the engine quit? If that happens I guess things start cooling down pretty quickly. Is there anything else to do besides keeping carb heat on and trying to restart?

/QUOTE]

Good way to die.

Engine quits, fly the airplane and land. They had just taken off. No time for restart.

Good way to die.

Engine quits, fly the airplane and land. They had just taken off. No time for restart.

I think he said he was at 8500. That is about 4000 AGL. He knew he could not make a field and circled his likely landing area. I do not doubt he was trying everything he could think of.

FIVE including pilot on board

Judging by the size of the folks in the video (young girl, baby) they didn't look too hefty and they were probably under gross, or at least not way over gross.

Cold day too, obviously.

It is not safe, doesn't matter that it is technically legal. Lap babies are not safe, I've read too many disturbing stories about injured or killed lap babies. Glad to read the baby in this story wasn't injured.

This is how my six month old flew to Germany last year. If I couldn't afford to buy her a ticket, I would not have gone.

I don't disagree at all. Just saying that its legal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back