C172XP Annual detailed list.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hello everyone.

Is there a comprehensive list of what is / must be included in and Annual for a 172XP late 70 model? Engine and Instrumentation.

Is there any thing specific to be tested for a 210HP STC?

Any list of compiled ADs, SBs, FAA recommendations?
How does one get the past history, from FAA?

I am aware of the 14CFR 43, looking for something more practical / to the point.

Are there still updated databases for the Apollo GX60 to allow legal IFR use?
Is Cessna 200A AP of any use?

What would be the most efficient way to upgrade to ADSB In/ Out if you have a Garmin GTX 327?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Is there a comprehensive list of what is / must be included in and Annual for a 172XP late 70 model? Engine and Instrumentation.

Kinda. The original sources are varied, but a mechanic will usually have a service they've paid for that will generate "checklists" and what not from known manufacturer and FAA instructions. Remember, there's things installed in the aircraft usually that aren't "factory" and those accessories or even 337'd or STC'd items, may also drive their own specific requirements. It's an airplane by airplane thing for a completely "comprehensive" list for that specific aircraft.

There's also companies like ADLog who make "more organized" logbooks for the aircraft that also include checklists for specific aircraft items and other on-board products.

Is there any thing specific to be tested for a 210HP STC?

Don't know.

Any list of compiled ADs, SBs, FAA recommendations?

How does one get the past history, from FAA?

FAA doesn't maintain maintenance history. If paperwork on major modifications (337) or other things like that are done to the aircraft, they will have those. You can order a CD with that data from them, but it's nowhere near comprehensive. The logs are kept with the aircraft (usually locked up somewhere by the owner/operator, really -- they're a significant portion of the aircraft's value), and FAA doesn't have them.

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/nd/

I am aware of the 14CFR 43, looking for something more practical / to the point.

Welcome to aviation. Nope. LOL... see above for why.

Are there still updated databases for the Apollo GX60 to allow legal IFR use?
Jepessen sells nav updates. The unit is discontinued by Garmin and very likely to be unrepairable if it breaks.

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp

Is Cessna 200A AP of any use?
If it's working properly it'll do what it did in the 70s when it was first installed... fly fairly poorly.
If it isn't working properly, no. :)

What would be the most efficient way to upgrade to ADSB In/ Out if you have a Garmin GTX 327?
Thank you.

There's numerous ways to do that. At least six popular vendors of products with all sorts of different products, and price points.

Question for you: Does Google not work where you live? :)

Hi Nate and everyone.
Thank you for your help.
Yes, G works fine, which I despise, I actually use DuckDuck and that also works fine.
My hope, like most people that post on BBS is that someone has something specific that compiles all that info into one practical document. I tend to do that with the acft I get involved with, but this bird is not very common / popular.
While the database for the GX60 is available, the update seems to work for some and not others, it may have something to do with the version, it works OK with the old firmware but they cannot upgrade for whatever reason.

XPs are great airplanes. The inspection should be standard 172 with the CS prop and cowl flaps added. Isham STC specs should be in the logs unless somebody bootlegged the HP increase, and I've seen that.

There was a little known about service problem with sub-spec rods in IO-360KBs in tbe '79 model year. I'd hope those have all been addressed by now but I'd want to make sure.

Hi Stewart.
Thank you.
That is exactly the type of information that I want to find out about.
Also in the Instrumentation section there was an WX Striker / Stormscope installed and is no longer in the panel. The owner says it's a minor problem but I think that it should be noted / logged as removed?

Hi Stewart.
Thank you.
That is exactly the type of information that I want to find out about.
Also in the Instrumentation section there was an WX Striker / Stormscope installed and is no longer in the panel. The owner says it's a minor problem but I think that it should be noted / logged as removed?
Correct. Note removed now, and update weight & balance.

Seller of the plane I just bought did not want to take the time to fix the paperwork, so we discounted the selling price accordingly. It had shoulder harnesses and some stall fences but had no paperwork for them, and an older GPS that had been removed. My mechanic who did my pre-buy and ultimately the annual removed the stall fences and replaced the unknown shoulder harnesses with something known and new, and redid the weight and balance, no big deal; did the proper log entry, filed the 337 with the FAA, and included the STC paperwork and everything else in my documentation.

Last edited:
Back