C172 versus Volvo SUV @ Northwest Regional

Don't forget to stop before crossing the runway approach.

My take -
Pilot either didn't take the road into account during his flight planning - or completly forgot about it during the approach. If I know there is a road in play - I'm going to make sure I clear that road (and anything moving on it). Student Pilot used poor judgement on that approach.

On airnav and other sources it clearly says this for runway 17 - "Obstructions: 10 ft. hill, 200 ft. from runway
ROAD 30 FT FM END OF RUNWAY."

I'm not trying to be an arm chair pilot here - but the pilot did not plan accordingly - and everyone noticed. With roads you have to plan for as pilot (at least I do)there are obstructions around 50ft high to make sure you are in the clear. Pilot failed at flight planning and/or failed at taking action for the road at the end of the runway.

Driver is full of fail. - but that is pretty obvious.

I saw this video and I really feel bad for the pilot. It was not his fault. I think it was a very new pilot. The worst part is the Volvo driver who refused to take any responsibility even though he ran a stop sign. The plane did land on its belly and there were no injuries but the pilot was very shaken. I think he quit flying shortly after this accident.

Just had to share that the pilot involved HAS started flying again and is due to take his checkride any time... I fly from the same FBO as he does, and got that update from the crew behind the desk. Made me smile to know he changed his mind about quitting.

Awesome. It sounded like he was "done flying' when that happened. Good to see he got back into the saddle.

A phone conference between the insurer for the car and the plane has probably taken care of this already.

I'm just curious who ultimately got stuck with it. There was so much back and forth and finger pointing, I was wondering who got the blame.

I'm just curious who ultimately got stuck with it. There was so much back and forth and finger pointing, I was wondering who got the blame.

Just like in many motor vehicle accidents, the desire of both (or in this case all three) insurers to get a case resolved without any litigation exposure often trumps questions of 'who is at fault'. Everyone here will just be happy to have releases from the pilot and the car occupants on file to make sure that whatever medical payment they received takes care of their scrapes, cuts and emotional trauma.

We now have better signage... The stop sign is on your right, the bigger sign is on the fence to the north. Repeated on both the east and west sides of the north end of runway 17 where the accident occurred.

ve4a4ejy.jpg

va2edy9u.jpg

We now have better signage... The stop sign is on your right, the bigger sign is on the fence to the north. Repeated on both the east and west sides of the north end of runway 17 where the accident occurred.

ve4a4ejy.jpg

va2edy9u.jpg

TW,
Do you fly out of 52F?

I have a hanger out there. Let me know if you are and I will try and find you. I have only been official for a couple weeks but interested in meeting other pilots in the area.

TW,
Do you fly out of 52F?

I have a hanger out there. Let me know if you are and I will try and find you. I have only been official for a couple weeks but interested in meeting other pilots in the area.

How about breakfast this Saturday at the Blue Hangar?

TW,
Do you fly out of 52F?

How about breakfast this Saturday at the Blue Hangar?

Yes, I rent from MarcAir.

Can you do breakfast this Saturday morning as suggested by Mike? I'd need to do early (7:00 or 7:30) as I have a 10am appointment in the Mid-Cities with my wife.

http://www.thebluehangar.com/?page_id=22

Let me check with the boss and see what she has to say about it.
most likely.

We can be there at 7:30

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Great, I'll be there too. I'll send you a PM. My wife may come with me, she likes that place for breakfast and we have to be somewhere afterwards together anyway!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back