C172 down In Hermantown,MN

Can’t find anything on ATC recordings or flight tracks

Maybe here, not much to see, high speed on descent.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N262TA

Low weather conditions that time of night:
KDLH 020555Z 08011KT 9SM OVC002 09/08 A3037 RMK AO2 SLP293 T00940083 10100 20089 401440089 50000
KDLH 020455Z 08012KT 4SM BR OVC002 09/08 A3038 RMK AO2 SLP296 T00890078
KDLH 020355Z 08010G19KT 5SM BR OVC002 09/08 A3038 RMK AO2 SLP296 T00940083

RIP

Last edited:
‘Minutes before midnight’? Reported time of the crash. The pictures of the wreckage, presumably the next day, show much better weather.

I’ll back this up to ADM questions, qualifications, & recency of experience. 200’ OVC & minutes before midnight, it may of been time to give that pilot a few beers & postpone the flight. Yes, beer can be a safety tool.

Maybe here, not much to see, high speed on descent.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N262TA

Low weather conditions that time of night:
KDLH 020555Z 08011KT 9SM OVC002 09/08 A3037 RMK AO2 SLP293 T00940083 10100 20089 401440089 50000
KDLH 020455Z 08012KT 4SM BR OVC002 09/08 A3038 RMK AO2 SLP296 T00890078
KDLH 020355Z 08010G19KT 5SM BR OVC002 09/08 A3038 RMK AO2 SLP296 T00940083

RIP
Fast descent after a slow speed climbing 180 turn. I hate to speculate, but I'm thinking like others here that he got disoriented in the dark clouds. According to the registry, the pilot was Commerical single/multi and CFI, so he was legally qualified, but who knows about anything else.

I’ve flown out of DLH a bunch. Scattered can turn into complete in an instant. That lake makes for some crazy weather.

RIP

It’s not superstition, just a simple way to memorialize those that crashed. Also helps with data hygiene, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Finnair used to have a Flight # 666 to HEL

seinfeld-devil.gif

To be taken with a grain of salt (due to unverified accuracy) but the raw ADS-B track shows him fairly out of control on the initial right turn, well below 400’ AGL. In fact, it shows a descent during the turn and if the track is accurate, I’m surprised he didn’t hit anything on the airport property. I wonder if there will be security cam footage.

"the chances of another plane hitting the house are astronomical" hahahahha

what time does it start
About 4 minutes in. The tape is fairly sync’ed with the 0400Z time, no more than about 10 seconds behind, if anything. You can play it back on adsbexchange with the audio and watch it develop.

Family member of the pilot I think posted over on Reddit asking questions on how this could happen.

A night low IFR departure is far more difficult and unforgiving than the poor young CFII probably realized. So many potential illusions, and you cant believe anything your body is telling you. Have to believe the instruments, and if the instruments are lying for some reason, not much time to figure it out. Incredibly sad.

A night low IFR departure is far more difficult and unforgiving than the poor young CFII probably realized. So many potential illusions, and you cant believe anything your body is telling you. Have to believe the instruments, and if the instruments are lying for some reason, not much time to figure it out. Incredibly sad.
Add that strobe light into the mix and it can be extremely disorienting.

...So many potential illusions...
But he knew all about the illusions. As an instructor, he had counseled other pilots on precisely their insidious effects. In the present case, he had good forward visibility; he had a good airplane; his instrument experience was recent; terrain was flat Midwest back to the home airport; weather was overcast and the cloud layer would have him on instruments from the get go. But he knew that. Things were sure to be challenging, but nowhere near forbidding for a competent instrument pilot.

Another scenario: Illusions don't just affect the pilot; they affect passengers, too. Say, a tired, tipsy, guy in the right seat suddenly feels the disorienting, upsetting, somatogravic illusion, and grabs the yoke in panic--just as the professional pilot flying is pitching for a stable climb to altitude and calling departure. A few seconds later, a disastrous spiral is fully developed...no time to avoid a crash.

At this time, no one knows precisely the elements of the flight that led to the disaster. But I think it's way unfair to the pilot to presume that his failures were the immediate cause.

But he knew all about the illusions. As an instructor, he had counseled other pilots on precisely their insidious effects. In the present case, he had good forward visibility; he had a good airplane; his instrument experience was recent; terrain was flat Midwest back to the home airport; weather was overcast and the cloud layer would have him on instruments from the get go. But he knew that. Things were sure to be challenging, but nowhere near forbidding for a competent instrument pilot.

Another scenario: Illusions don't just affect the pilot; they affect passengers, too. Say, a tired, tipsy, guy in the right seat suddenly feels the disorienting, upsetting, somatogravic illusion, and grabs the yoke in panic--just as the professional pilot flying is pitching for a stable climb to altitude and calling departure. A few seconds later, a disastrous spiral is fully developed...no time to avoid a crash.

At this time, no one knows precisely the elements of the flight that led to the disaster. But I think it's way unfair to the pilot to presume that his failures were the immediate cause.

Could be even more mundane than grabbing the yoke, like getting sick, making nervous chatter, or full-on verbally freaking out, all of which could distract the pilot.

Back