C152 Flying today,.. great time!

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Sat Jan 5th, 2008

First flight today at Perkiomen in a Cessna C152 II. I met Barbara, a new instructor to me, to begin the preflight and learn the cozy C152. Things are different, but not much compared to the C172. After a full walk-around and preflight, I started the engine. Things are a little different in that this has Carb-heat, and a lot less instrumentation. Nice though, that I can focus so much more on the basics of flying and getting the skills I need.

After a run-up, I back taxied on 27 to get in position to depart. Things are going well, and I departed 27 to the West, climbing to 1500, then turning North for 2000 and into the practice area. Since this was my first flight with Barb, we reviewed the plane, clearing the area, and then entered into some slow flight. She noticed that I was coordinated with the rudder and managed the throttle pretty well, so the Basic 4 were just monitored throughout the flying day. We also did a 45 deg steep turn to the left and right today, I love those! After some slow flight and holding 45 Knots with full flaps,… we then cleaned up the airframe and talked about Power Off stalls. Slow flight came again, and then we did some stalls,.. pretty neat. I expected it to be more of an event, but it was pretty smooth and recovery was good. After two or three more, she pulled the power and said to think about where I would go if this was an engine failure. I picked a field pretty far out (we were at 2500 ft) and headed for it. She explained that best glide was about 60 knots, and we pulled back to bleed airspeed from 80 knots, slowly down to best glide. Still decending, she said for me to plan for the landing approach, add 10 deg flaps,.. and then, once I knew I would have the field to perform a go-around. We crossed under 800 feet or so and initiated the go-around.

This was neat,…. So she wanted to see how I did at some pattern and approaches to Pottstown-Limerick (PTW). We entered directly into Base, since there was no traffic and it is a Right Pattern for RY 28. This threw me off a little, but I managed to get things lined up on Final and watch the VASI. A shaky approach and touchdown, and then we took off again for my First Touch and Go. I asked if I could stay in the pattern and go around for a full stop, she said sure, so after climbing to 1300, I turned right to continue in the pattern. This time, I felt more comfortable, getting Abeam to the numbers and initiating the decent and managing the flaps in three stages. Approach was better, and I saw a little double red on the VASI,.. so adding power and watching the numbers made things a little better. Good approach, fairly good touchdown. I need to watch the rudder input that I have when I am in ground effect and get better at keeping the plane straight. Better landing, and I taxied off and relaxed a little. A nice slow taxi down and I was ready to start again. OOops,.. still have Carb Heat on…. Have to get used to that being used. After waiting for another to depart, we decided to take off and head back to N10.

AWSOME takeoff! :goofy: I kept it nice and smooth down the centerline the whole way. Hit 60 Knots, and smoothly lifted off and tracked down the runway centerline. Very pleased with that one. Headed over to N10 at 1200 feet so I would be at pattern altitude. Did a mid-field cross over, and entered the downwind. There was a Cessna 172 (not from N10) on the taxiway waiting for another C152 to land. We turned downwind, and the other C152 was turning final. I extended my downwind a little so I could give him time to taxiback and get off the runway. Turned base,… runway almost clear. Turned final,.. runway was clear and I called on the radio my position and that I was on final approach. C172 was still off to the side. I dropped in my last flaps and was crossing under 500 feet when he started to take the runway! We radioed right way that we were on SHORT final,… and he didn’t hesitate and continued to turn aligned with 27. I added power and initiated the Go-around, sliding to the right of the runway and over the other planes parked there. He began his takeoff run, and we were side by side and I was about 100 feet above him to the right about 200 feet as he tookoff. My instructor was trying to get him to confirm over the radio, with no avail. We called the FBO to confirm we could be heard, and they responded. Still nothing from the other plane. We were still parallel with him, above and to the right, past the airfield now, both climbing about the same rate. Barb told me to slow up a little and then we’ll turn left after he cleared in front of us so we could return and enter the pattern again. WOW,..

Entered the pattern,.. called my position all the way around and had no problems. Landed pretty smoothly, little left of centerline.

End of a great day of flying,.. which I needed.

Landings 3 (1 T&G)
1.1Hrs.

First Runway Incursion :rolleyes:

So,.. if you flew a C172, white, with Royal Blue stripes, white N-numbers and took off about 2:20 pm today from N10,... please check your radio

Rob :D

Last edited:
Great write up Rob!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Today was an awsome day to fly.

Lee

Yup I think your about ready to dump that mentor of yours :rolleyes:. Your doing pretty well if the CFI has you landing unassisted after only 1.6 hrs. Thats impressive.

Are you sure Barb is a new CFI there? I had heard that there was a woman named Barb there that had been there for sometime. If its the same one I have heard very good things about her.

Fly Safe.

Paul let me land at Wings too,... guess good background helped out.

Barb is not new to N10, just new to me. She is excellent and very informative about the things we are about to do, then as I go through them she keeps me in check. Like the steep turns today,.. I was good to the left, but to the right my perspective was off and I dropped about 50 feet or so.

She said she doesn't normally let students land on their first flights with her, but she was surprised how well I used all the controls all the time and thought we would give the T&G a try. Since it went well, we continued some more.

Can't wait to get up again.

Glad to hear you enjoyed "downgrading" from a "fuelie" 172 to the humble 152... it's a great trainer, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Just perfect for racking up X-C hours. ;)

And how about that guy, not using the CATF or checking for traffic on final? Good job on the go-around, BTW.
Get used to that; it won't likely be the last time... :rolleyes:

the C152 is a really nice airplane. I like it a lot so far.

Lee: not sure exactly when the next flight will be. I have a job interview tuesday night, which looks VERY promising and will definitely fill the budget gap for flight training and flying :yes::goofy::D

I think I might see how things look in two weeks from now. I have my Medical monday the 28th too.

rob

Back