C152 down at Smyrna Beach, FL

jcepiano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jcepiano
I didn't see a thread and I'm very curious to see what the good folks of POA have to say.

Yesterday around 9PM local, a C152 crashed near Smyrna Beach, FL. The only fatality was the single pilot aboard.

Here is an edited ATC recording of the Japanese female pilot that was at the controls (copied over from the Reddit aviation forum):
https://soundcloud.com/pilotdarb/zjx-dab-jan-14-2015-0130z-edited

Unfortunately this sounds like a loss of control due to disorientation. A few times she tries to reach ATC but keeps saying "125.25 no contact." Daytona Approach in the area is 125.35.

METARs:
KEVB 140155Z 35008KT 8SM OVC005 17/16 A3014
KEVB 140150Z 35008KT 8SM OVC005 17/16 A3014

Pilot was new to Edgewater Time Building out of Massey (X50) and supposedly had gone up with a CFI on Monday and the owner claims she wasn't allowed to fly solo.

Here is what's bizarre. Pilot was Commercial ASEL-MEL+IR. I really don't understand why a popup IFR clearance wasn't requested if she was in IMC or why she would have departed at all without an IFR flight plan. That area has been reporting OVC002 to OVC005 ceilings for over 24 hours.

Aircraft was a Cessna 152 N757ZM.

Last edited:
I heard about it this morning on the news... It's been LIFR in northeast florida for quite some time now... very sad

This was so sad and so preventable.
I wonder how proficient the pilot must have been. The local news report had the last few tower/pilot communications. It was obvious she was confused.
Just sad.

This was so sad and so preventable.
I wonder how proficient the pilot must have been. The local news report had the last few tower/pilot communications. It was obvious she was confused.
Just sad.

How was it preventable?

Back