C152, 106*, 4600’, 2 occupants, gusty conditions

Wow. Glad to see the occupants walked away.
But, how about: New Rule (well, actually, pretty old rule), Don't even get the 152 out of the barn after 10am, in the summer, anywhere west of the Mississippi.

But, how about: New Rule (well, actually, pretty old rule), Don't even get the 152 out of the barn after 10am, in the summer, anywhere west of the Mississippi.
But what if it’s not gusty? :dunno:

Landed mine in a direct 24 knot crosswind with gust up to I don't know. Thankfully it was a really long runway, I did the landing full throttle (bled off the speed whilst I was right over the runway) and used all of it. As bad as that was, it beat getting into the storms that were all around me.

That’s silly. More like, most pilots over 180 lbs need to be dieting. 150s are fine if you are fit.

Must have been some gust of wind. Looks like a three point landing. Glad everyone is fine.

Landed mine in a direct 24 knot crosswind with gust up to I don't know. Thankfully it was a really long runway, I did the landing full throttle (bled off the speed whilst I was right over the runway) and used all of it. As bad as that was, it beat getting into the storms that were all around me.
I've never flown a 150/152 (nor a 172) that had the rudder for that sort of action.

106* ????? What is that?

There is a link to a facebook post in the article, some interesting takes in there. I really don't understand how a gust of wind causes a 152 to crash in a soccer field.

We trained like that here in EL Paso years ago. CFIs scheduled new students early, and the more seasoned almost ready to PPL students ALWAYS got the 1-4 pm slots for crosswind, massive thermal and DA summer training/exposure out here. They also loved calling for a go-around after getting one of the tires on the runway in high heat DA conditions - their thinking was that they wanted to be with us when we experienced any of that for the first time ... got told a LOT "it's ok if the plane has to settle a second time, maintain control" on the go arounds ... and hitting a down draft after rotation was always interesting. Dust devils over pavement that you can't see out here in summer are the worst as they seem to spring up and bite just before touchdown during landing ... I have a photo of one from the ground to (4000MSL to 8000) as well as an aerial photo of a tornado just east of Pecos Tx

106* ????? What is that?

There is a link to a facebook post in the article, some interesting takes in there. I really don't understand how a gust of wind causes a 152 to crash in a soccer field.
Probably more likely that a gust of wind forced a go-around, followed by a failure to maintain control. But that's total speculation... I'm sure more information will come out in the investgation.

I did my first solo in a 150. They'll fly REALLY slow. From the picture, it looks like he's got flaps at 10. Stall speed clean is 48 knots. Stall speed landing configuration is 43 knots. The last reported ADSB data point had him at at 67 knots ground speed.

Or ... hold the "alt" key down and type 0186 and presto ... º :)

Sure, or I can just hold shift-8. That's two actions. As opposed to five (which I was not aware of anyways and won't bother to write down). I'll still use * .... deal with it. :p

Sure, or I can just hold shift-8. That's two actions. As opposed to five (which I was not aware of anyways and won't bother to write down). I'll still use * .... deal with it. :p

You can be proper or go rogue ... makes no matter to me! I have bigger first world problems to attend to ... :biggrin:

You can be proper or go rogue ... makes no matter to me! I have bigger first world problems to attend to ... :biggrin:

I choose rogue! But I hope that is okay with the community!

well ...

<Alt> key and 0176 = °
<Alt> key and 0186 = º

So bigger is better? :rockon:

Thanks for the heads up ...

Back