C150 Yoke Grips

Chilito

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chilito
Hi guys. My 150 has the stock ram's horn yokes, and the metal is getting pretty worn and scratchy. The wife needs some Christmas ideas, so I suggested the SX-100 Gregoire covers. Except now, they've vanished from every corner of the internet. It's strange. The model was the SX-100, and came with four covers. I can't find it anywhere. Am I missing something? Any one have a good alternative? Thanks.

The website is the right one. When I contacted them with the same question they told me that they no longer sell the rubber/plastic versions (SX-100). Only the leather types (SX-200/202). Looks like about $70/grip w/o push to talk or $110/grip w PTT. So, $140-$180/yoke depending upon whether or not you get with PTT.

I put the SX-100s on my yoke and thought they looked cheesy. Then I neatly wrapped them with black cloth grip tape (hockey stick tape) and they look great, and provide a place to mount the PTT and CWS buttons. So maybe you can find a used set somewhere or just wrap your yokes with grip tape and cover up the blemishes.

Attachments

• 60485028-B201-4384-947E-45963732084C.jpeg
    60485028-B201-4384-947E-45963732084C.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 61
I like the foam bicycle grips cut to length and slipped over each horn. Use a little liquid soap as lubricant and they slide right on.

Hardware store - self fusing silicone tape (stretch rubbery flex wrap). Easy to apply, cheap, won’t come undone. It may be in the pipe repair section. Did both my 182 yokes.

DD6D52DD-650D-403A-9D45-FE605A23C6EF.jpeg

I’ve owned it ten years. The foam was on the yoke when I got it and still in great shape. I think it’s pipe insulation.

The plane went through a complete restoration and mod finished in 1980. The person who did it poured WAY more money into it than they could ever hope to get out of it. When finished, he gave it to his wife as a birthday present and she got her instrument rating in it. The panel was custom built from scratch, not adapted from another aircraft. The avionics were state of the art at the time. It is obvious that he salvaged a 150 at the time. It got the O200A, alternator, vacuum pump, seats, wheel pants and a few other things from the salvage. It was zinc chromated before fresh seconite. It is a great little plane that I just couldn’t part with when I got my Mooney.AE5A26C8-5106-4353-8750-D2AA4F26BF70.jpeg

The plane went through a complete restoration and mod finished in 1980. The person who did it poured WAY more money into it than they could ever hope to get out of it. When finished, he gave it to his wife as a birthday present and she got her instrument rating in it. The panel was custom built from scratch, not adapted from another aircraft. The avionics were state of the art at the time. It is obvious that he salvaged a 150 at the time. It got the O200A, alternator, vacuum pump, seats, wheel pants and a few other things from the salvage. It was zinc chromated before fresh seconite. It is a great little plane that I just couldn’t part with when I got my Mooney.View attachment 81756
Very neat, I used to own N2313V. Put about 800 hours on it and wish I still had it. I think it is located somewhere in Texas also.

Yes a 48 is a great 140. Several subtle improvements including main gear 3” forward. The Piggy is still a ragwing.

I understand perfectly your keeping it long enough for 800 hours. I am retired and spend most days, at least part of the day, at the hangar. A flyable day usually begins with pulling the Piggy out of the hangar and cruising over the lakes which are plentiful here. My daughter has a lake house across a peninsula that often gets buzzed early in the morning. Various people join me on these morning jaunts at different times. She’s a hoot to have around.

Back