C150 Folding Bikes

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
So I'm in the market for a C150. Maybe even more importantly, we want to have folding bikes that will fit. Any suggestions? Also, any ideas on weight?

Me and my wife are light, so even with full fuel, we have about 60Lbs left for baggage.

Thanks!

The 150 has a nice size baggage compartment, just can't hold much weight. I have an old dahon which folds up and fits without a problem. I can even fit my 29er mountain bike if I remove both wheels and wedge it in.

Dude, C150, better learn to ride a folding unicycle. Or just do like my buddy with a Yankee did, get a long board.

Dude, C150, better learn to ride a folding unicycle. Or just do like my buddy with a Yankee did, get a long board.

They were selling motorized long boards at oshkosh and I almost went for it. They cruise at over 20mph and have an hour range.

Montague makes some good folding full size mountain bikes that should fit in anything. I might pick one up to throw in my plane.

I find it interesting that you mention that you and your wife are both light, and you are looking for folding bikes. If more of us rode bikes, we would probably all be lighter! :)

Looks like some of the folding bikes are around 30 Lbs. So with full tanks, we can still fit two bikes with us. Perfect for a lot of the New England spots. Less than full tanks and we can have a good overnight bag as well, or a beach cooler.

Now all I need is the plane...

Good luck and enjoy your search, PilotRPI. My mechanic has an IFR C-150 for sale if you are interested. It has something like 300 hours on the engine. Not sure about much else, but PM me if you are interested. I am in the Memphis Metro area, a good piece from you, but just a hop and a skip (or maybe a couple of skips :)) in a 150. We have a C-150, and I like it a lot. One of the best airplanes Clyde Cessna ever produced.

I ride a Pacific Reach racing bike. It folds into almost nothing (the second picture is the bike in a 31" suitcase) and yet it is a fully capable road bike. I did the STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride on it - 203 miles in 1 day, so this isn't a compromised folding clunker, but it is expensive. It only weighs 22 pounds. Pacific cycles also makes a folding "city" bike that has a quicker and more elegant folding mechanism. You'll have to kiss some greenbacks goodbye, but the bikes are likely to outlast your plane!

EMIAHsDl.jpg

tZPAPRrl.jpg

The IF Move is City bike that opens in 3 seconds. It is a marvel of engineering. Check out the video:
http://www.pacific-cycles.com/Product/IF/IFMOVE

I ride a Pacific Reach racing bike. It folds into almost nothing (the second picture is the bike in a 31" suitcase) and yet it is a fully capable road bike. I did the STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride on it - 203 miles in 1 day, so this isn't a compromised folding clunker, but it is expensive. It only weighs 22 pounds. Pacific cycles also makes a folding "city" bike that has a quicker and more elegant folding mechanism. You'll have to kiss some greenbacks goodbye, but the bikes are likely to outlast your plane!

EMIAHsDl.jpg

tZPAPRrl.jpg

The IF Move is City bike that opens in 3 seconds. It is a marvel of engineering. Check out the video:
http://www.pacific-cycles.com/Product/IF/IFMOVE

This would be nice IF I had 2 grand to drop on a folding bike. That's 10% of the cost of a C150. :D

Back