c150 Annual Inspection

I use the manufacturers checklists, they usually include the servicing, spell out to change the oil, do a compression test, clean and gap the plugs etc, etc, etc.

I cannot currently find my flat rate book, but IIRC the stated time do to all of that (including disassembly and reassembly) is 12hrs or less.

If I just fix what I find or contact the owner depends on who owns the thing and how much it costs. I just finished one where the only thing needed was an ELT battery, so I just ordered it and threw it on the bill.

I use the manufacturers checklists, they usually include the servicing, spell out to change the oil, do a compression test, clean and gap the plugs etc, etc, etc.

I cannot currently find my flat rate book, but IIRC the stated time do to all of that (including disassembly and reassembly) is 12hrs or less.

If I just fix what I find or contact the owner depends on who owns the thing and how much it costs. I just finished one where the only thing needed was an ELT battery, so I just ordered it and threw it on the bill.

That's what we do as well Duncan, when we can anyway. But I was assuming Tom would argue that the manufacturers list has more than appendix D and that those aren't required, usually.

-VanDy

That's what we do as well Duncan, when we can anyway. But I was assuming Tom would argue that the manufacturers list has more than appendix D and that those aren't required, usually.

-VanDy

And he would be right, but I like the idea of a tailored checklist, 43d is fine and dandy but is a starting point not the end. Example, in the restart 172 manuals there is no annual checklist, so I use 43d to get the plane leagal to fly and add in the 12 month phase checklists to round out the "Annual." It is especially useful on the G1000 ships.

And he would be right, but I like the idea of a tailored checklist, 43d is fine and dandy but is a starting point not the end. Example, in the restart 172 manuals there is no annual checklist, so I use 43d to get the plane leagal to fly and add in the 12 month phase checklists to round out the "Annual." It is especially useful on the G1000 ships.

I completely agree with you on all accounts!

-VanDy

The use of ACs is not required to determine airworthiness, nor is the manufacturer instructions.

next explain the difference between maintenance and inspections.

and read 43.15 because that is the FAR that pertains to this subject.

no where does it say ACs or the manufacturer's instructions are required.

-VanDy

and I'm wrong how?

Remember what is legal isn't always safe, and what is safe isn't always legal.

and what I do is not what is in discussion here.

Last edited:
[

-VanDy

I completely agree with you on all accounts!

-VanDy

The use of ACs is not required to determine airworthiness, nor is the manufacturer instructions.

next explain the difference between maintenance and inspections.

and read 43.15 because that is the FAR that pertains to this subject.

no where does it say ACs or the manufacturer's instructions are required.

and I'm wrong how?

I quoted the entire string so you can read everything I said in its context. I don't see where I said you were wrong, could you please point that out to me.

I merely pointed out that i expected you to state that the manufactures list are legally excessive in comparison to appendix D and I agree that they are.

I even stated earlier that there are many options when performing a task, hence the portion 'or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the administrator'

I have a question for you, Tom. How can you properly inspect an aircraft for conformity if a previous repair was done IAW an AC or manufacturers instructions without using them as a guide for your inspection?

-VanDy

Contrary to some here, that is petty much standard of the industry.

And remember I charge a flat fee for the inspection, and charge $50 per hour repairing discrepancies. and bill accordingly.

I am not set up tax wise, (here in a sales tax state) to do retail sales, I do carry some supplies, If I use them on your aircraft I expect you to replace them.

Contrary to some here, that is petty much standard of the industry.

And remember I charge a flat fee for the inspection, and charge $50 per hour repairing discrepancies. and bill accordingly.

I am not set up tax wise, (here in a sales tax state) to do retail sales, I do carry some supplies, If I use them on your aircraft I expect you to replace them.

We are set up as such, and do not have to charge the customer sales tax either.

customer paid for my labor to do the inspection, the parts used, the elt battery, actual cost on shipping and a few hours for the ccontrol cable ad. We did mark the parts up a couple bucks as well.

We are set up as such, and do not have to charge the customer sales tax either.

customer paid for my labor to do the inspection, the parts used, the elt battery, actual cost on shipping and a few hours for the ccontrol cable ad. We did mark the parts up a couple bucks as well.

Are you guys a repair station? We have to charge tax on service but not on parts.

-VanDy

The only reason you would ever have to charge sales tax on parts is if you had purchased them for resale and had not paid the sales tax. This is something you aren't normally going to do unless you are carrying a large inventory and, of course, have a resale license. Obviously, if you do purchase parts for resale and then charge the customer sales tax you don't get to keep it, it belongs to the state..

The only reason you would ever have to charge sales tax on parts is if you had purchased them for resale and had not paid the sales tax. This is something you aren't normally going to do unless you are carrying a large inventory and, of course, have a resale license..

I presume that you do not mark up parts then? I.e. you pass them along at your cost.

You can mark them up all you want, the amount of sales tax is based on what they are sold for to the end user and if you didn't buy them for resale then you are the end user.

edit: Any "mark-up" in such a case is technically a shipping and handling fee though it may not appear as such on an invoice.

Last edited:
[

I quoted the entire string so you can read everything I said in its context. I don't see where I said you were wrong, could you please point that out to me.

Sorry, I confused threads and authors again.

I have a question for you, Tom. How can you properly inspect an aircraft for conformity if a previous repair was done IAW an AC or manufacturers instructions without using them as a guide for your inspection?
-VanDy

let us keep to the Cessna 150.

all repairs are made IAW cessna manuals Generic ACs do not apply, the aircraft is supported by its manufacturer.

Applying for a field approval for a major repair of the 150 will be made using Data from the supporting manuals. So to inspect the repair for airworthiness you would use the 337 filed and approved by the FAA to see if the repair was indeed made IAW the 337 that became approved data for the repair. not ACs or the Cessna repair manuals.

Staying with in the context of this thread, and speaking of airworthiness for the Cessna 150, there is only 1 appliance that requires manufacturers data to determine airworthiness can you tell me what it is ?

Last edited:
Back