C140A fuel vent sealed?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Today I learned that the fuel vent in my C140A had been sealed shut at some point in the past. I have two vented caps. Can the vent be removed entirely?

I doubt that sealing the fuel tank vent tube is an approved alteration. The caps vent only if a vacuum develops strong enough to pop open the vent so you might experience some engine rpm fluctuations if your only vent for the fuel system are the caps. The caps are only supposed to be a backup.

Yes

762ecb79-7f68-4eff-8681-25719b7b66fd_1000.jpg

Thanks, Ron. The vent needs work anyway so I will take the opportunity to have it fixed right.

Today I learned that the fuel vent in my C140A had been sealed shut at some point in the past. I have two vented caps. Can the vent be removed entirely?

I’d check for specifics with the association... there’s so much model specific knowledge there. Sure sounds off to me... my only vent is the caps but I’m not an A model...

That is correct, the pre-A model vent the tanks through the caps. You need to make sure you have legal caps (i.e., not taking the ones from an A model).

Thanks, Ron. The vent needs work anyway so I will take the opportunity to have it fixed right.
George, are you a member of the Cessna 120/140 Association? I think you will find a ton of good resources there and the forum is moderated by some guys that have extensive knowledge of the type. https://cessna120140.com/about-us/join/

Yep, and the CPA also has good info. I'm fairly sure this is where I learned about the subject.

Back