C:\Program Files\Common folder opens on startup

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Running Windows XP Home SP2 and C:\Program Files\Common opens on startup now for some reason. I've looked at my registry files and they look alright in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

...and there are no entries for C:\Program Files\Common. I show the "Common" folder as being created Feb. 14, 2006, but the only thing I see (in system restore) is that I configured iTunes and that shouldn't be what caused it. Any idea how to get rid of it/safe to delete if that will solve the problem?

msconfig also didn't show anything on the "Startup" tab associated with C:\Program Files\Common. It does show one "blank" (see picture) startup item I'm not sure about.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. The \Common folder has 3 files in it, "Weather" and within weather is "Graphics" and "Text." The whole /Common directory is 0 bytes (empty?)

Attachments

• msconfig.jpg
    msconfig.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 15
  • common.jpg
    common.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
  • common_withfolders.jpg
    common_withfolders.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Have you looked in the C:\Documents and Settings folder? There will be subfolders for the various users of this computer (including "All Users"). Look for a shortcut in the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder that may be opening the Program Files\Common folder.

Dan

Dan Smith said:
Have you looked in the C:\Documents and Settings folder? There will be subfolders for the various users of this computer (including "All Users"). Look for a shortcut in the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder that may be opening the Program Files\Common folder.

Dan

Nope. No shortcuts or start-up tasks associated with the common folder :dunno:

If you run msinfo32 (Start - Run - msinfo32), expand Software Environment, and select Startup Programs, does it show anything that might cause it?

Dan

Dan Smith said:
If you run msinfo32 (Start - Run - msinfo32), expand Software Environment, and select Startup Programs, does it show anything that might cause it?

Dan

Nope. I ran a search for c:\program files\common and the only 2 or 3 matches it found in there (msinfo32) were in the \common files directory, a totally different file/directory.

:dunno:

HPNPilot1200 said:
Nope. I ran a search for c:\program files\common and the only 2 or 3 matches it found in there (msinfo32) were in the \common files directory, a totally different file/directory.

:dunno:

You're certain that \common is not actually Program Files\common? If so, then I'm fresh out of ideas.

This problem is addressed on www.experts-exchange.com, but I'm too cheap to subscribe and read their answer.

Dan

Dan Smith said:
You're certain that \common is not actually Program Files\common? If so, then I'm fresh out of ideas.

This problem is addressed on www.experts-exchange.com, but I'm too cheap to subscribe and read their answer.

Dan

Sorry about my previous post. I referred to /common and Program Files\Common as the same thing.

The directory itself is C:\Program Files\Common

Brian Austin said:
Change the name of the folder and then check the Event Viewer to see who complains about it after a reboot.

I'll try that in a few moments...where is the "Event Viewer?"

Thanks,
Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
I'll try that in a few moments...where is the "Event Viewer?"

Thanks,
Jason
Right-click My Computer (in either the Start Menu or on Desktop) and go to Manage. Event Viewer is on the top left, divided into three sections (possibly more depending on what is installed on your PC): Application, Security, System. You'll be looking at Application more than anything although some things get classified into System that might be more App.

Otherwise, it's under Administrative Tools in Control Panel.

Brian Austin said:
Right-click My Computer (in either the Start Menu or on Desktop) and go to Manage. Event Viewer is on the top left, divided into three sections (possibly more depending on what is installed on your PC): Application, Security, System. You'll be looking at Application more than anything although some things get classified into System that might be more App.

Otherwise, it's under Administrative Tools in Control Panel.

...well I renamed it to "comweird" and nothing happened, and there was nothing noticable in the event log. Strange, huh? Should I just delete it?

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
...well I renamed it to "comweird" and nothing happened, and there was nothing noticable in the event log. Strange, huh? Should I just delete it?

Jason
So it didn't open and nothing complained that it didn't open?

You haven't installed Weatherbug by any chance? Or anything that would remotely deal with weather?

Personally, I'd delete it. You can always re-install whatever required it if necessary.

IIRC .. this problem is caused by a Norton product making an invalid registry entry.

Look in:

For something like:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID {DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

Change it to:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\CfgWiz.exe" /GUID {DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

..It needs the " "

Basically an update..or something..changed the registry entry, and without those quotes it stops at Common...and that causes Explorer to open the directory.

..I could be wrong, but I've seen the same problem in the past a few times, and this was the issue..

Jesse

Norton. Evil software.

I've had more trouble with Norton than anything else.

Blech.

jangell said:

For something like:

Change it to:

..It needs the " "
Look at the attached picture of regedit. I see NO entry (in either Local Machine or HKEY current user) for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe anywhere.

Hrmmm, I'm thinking about just deleting it completely. It doesn't have anything in it at all. The whole directory is 0 bytes.

Ahh, the lovely registry mistakes of Norton...

Jason

Attachments

• regedit.jpg
    regedit.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 12
HPNPilot1200 said:
Look at the attached picture of regedit. I see NO entry (in either Local Machine or HKEY current user) for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe anywhere.
No, but there is an entry with a similar non-quote issue for AOLHostManager.exe. ;)

I hate AOL. Three processes? Sheesh.

Brian Austin said:
No, but there is an entry with a similar non-quote issue for AOLHostManager.exe. ;)

I hate AOL. Three processes? Sheesh.

I hate AOL as well, but I have it because the rest of my family uses it and it's easier for me to show them how to do something on my computer then theirs. I moved away from AOL in September and very proud of it.

Jason

P.S. I put " "s around that entry.

Ah well. I was on the right track at least.

Did that fix it for you Jason?

I have fought this for over a year and have finally surrendered, just close it and go about my business. I don't use AOL. I use Norton on this machine but the second machine uses McAfee. It appeared on both my machines, one W98, the other XP within days of each other which made me initially suspect an automatic MS OS update. I had performed no common maintenance on either machine.

I suspect several pieces of software that are scheduled to run in the background as the culprets. My prime suspect currently is the utility package from Iomega, my zip-drive support. After a recent nasty virus attack I had to restore the computer. It did not display the window for several days until I happened to remember their utilities and install them. Not conclusive since I have not uninstalled them to make sure. As several have said, there are MS and other sources which point you to a solution, none of which seem to work. Based on that, I am more certain than ever that there are more than one package that seem to think that information is of interest to me. It is not, and I wish they would quit doing me a favor.

Sadly, sometimes the only fix for little things like this is the ultmiate fix:
1) Back up all data that you can't afford to lose.
2) Format hard drive and reinstall o/s and all programs.
3) Reload data.

I do that at least once a year.

IIRC .. this problem is caused by a Norton product making an invalid registry entry.

Look in:

For something like:

Change it to:

..It needs the " "

Basically an update..or something..changed the registry entry, and without those quotes it stops at Common...and that causes Explorer to open the directory.

..I could be wrong, but I've seen the same problem in the past a few times, and this was the issue..

Jesse

I created an account here for the sole reason to say that this worked for me. It wasn't for Norton in my case, it was for the Apple Sync Notifier.

Thanks Jesse!

I created an account here for the sole reason to say that this worked for me. It wasn't for Norton in my case, it was for the Apple Sync Notifier.

Thanks Jesse!
Hopefully you'll stick around and post more! Welcome to PoA!

Back