C-210T true airspeed

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Need some coaching. Looking at a nice '69 C-210T. Owner says look for 177 knots TAS @ 10,000 feet, @ 16gph. Does anybody know if this sounds about right?
I don't necessarily need the turbo - although it would help... plan some cross country flying for business and this would be a nice airplane, and wondering if this gives me a significant speed bump of course.
THANKS for the help and interest. This is a great forum.

As it was pointed out to me one time, there is no 210T. They stopped making them before they hit the 'T' models. Now there *is* a Cessna T210(model letter), which is a Turbo 210. I'll assume that's what you are asking about, as that is what *I* was asking about...

From what Ive researched about the T210's, that is likely an accurate figure above 10000 ft.

As it was also pointed out to me by a well known Cessna guru: "Why would you buy a 210 WITHOUT a turbo? If you're going to use a 210 for what it was designed for (fast and high), you need the turbo"

Good point

I have a hangar mate with a T210. the TAS is about 160-165ktas on 17-19gph.

Excuse my nomenclature. It's why I'm asking questions...
Thanks for the response.
Now I'm wondering if the hangar mate of TX_Flyboy is pulling that figure above 10,000 or down low?
I think this is a nice airplane, but for my mission in my business, it's all about hauling and speed.
appreciate it,
dan

In general, turbocharged airplanes have advantages only in high-density-altitude takeoffs/climbs, and cruising above 10K' or so. Do you frequent high-D.A. fields, and/or are your trips long enough to warrant climbing into the teens?

I have a lot of T210 time. I used to file for 170 knots true. I too probably averaged 16 GPH. They are amazing airplanes for a single engine.

177 true at 10K? Nope, the owner is selling you snake oil. 10 slower than that, at best.

I have a 1981 T-210 with a TSIO 520 engine. I figure 170 true on flights. The book states it can be as high as 190 in high teens and 75% power.

Not sure about the early model 210 regarding configuration engine etc.

All the way up at 10k that thing is burning 16GPH?

I burn that at sea level with a 520

I guess, so is that holding sea level at 10k?
Doesn't sound like it. That sounds more like 75pct at the kind of fuel flow that would keep the TIT below redline. The gas milage of turbos is really overstated when you account for having to manage cooling with unburnt fuel.

Is one and a half knots per thousand above 10k worth it in the human environmentals of an unpressurized hull? Strikes me as a to each their own kinda thing. I know it was unpopular, but I kinda like the Comanche 400/Aztec approach to cruise speed enhancement. Inefficent as hell, but I like the relative longevity and operating resiliency of the NA setup.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like it. That sounds more like 75pct at the kind of fuel flow that would keep the TIT below redline. The gas milage of turbos is really overstated when you account for having to manage cooling with unburnt fuel.

Is one and a half knots per thousand above 10k worth it in the human environmentals of an unpressurized hull? Strikes me as a to each their own kinda thing. I know it was unpopular, but I kinda like the Comanche 400/Aztec approach to cruise speed enhancement. Inefficent as hell, but I like the relative longevity and operating resiliency of the NA setup.

I've always wanted to fly a Comanche 400. Never had the chance.

Need some coaching. Looking at a nice '69 C-210T. Owner says look for 177 knots TAS @ 10,000 feet, @ 16gph. Does anybody know if this sounds about right?
I don't necessarily need the turbo - although it would help... plan some cross country flying for business and this would be a nice airplane, and wondering if this gives me a significant speed bump of course.
THANKS for the help and interest. This is a great forum.
yes, it will fly that fast as long as you don't mind doing top overhauls. Other wise 160-165 kts

man that sounds like the voice of experience talking... I hear it's just critical that you manage heating and cooling that engine. The altitude flying could help with weather and winds of course - and i'm flying some long legs so the efficiency would be helpful... but sounds like it all comes with a price.
Oh yeah, I HAVE flown a comanche 400 — best trip I ever had for speed! We had a 65K tail wind at 13,000... she was smokin' fast. ATC asked us if we were kidding about flying a "Comanche"...
thanks for your help

Back