C-182 Yoke - What is This?

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
Electronic device under the bottom of the yoke. Is it for the old Navomatic autopilot?

upload_2019-12-5_17-31-32.png

I think a map light belongs in that spot, but no clue. A/P disconnect?

FAA certified flux capacitor?

What does the top of that yoke horn look like, what year is the aircraft, and what autopilot is installed? Does it have manual electric trim?

I think a map light belongs in that spot, but no clue. A/P disconnect?
Map light for the 182P is under the right "upright" of the yoke, facing downward.

For what Russ photographed, I agree with Dave.... Russ wasn't supposed to find that.

I see a small power transistor, a bias resistor, and a potentiometer. The only purpose I can think of for that sort of thing is panel light dimming but there are too many wires involved.

What model of 182 is it?

That's a little vacuum pump that pulls the yoke in when you shut the plane off... duh.
It's for convenience when exiting. Kind of like a tilt steering wheel.

So many wonderful ideas to consider. Thanks, guys! It's a 182L.

Mine doesn’t have one....I assume it broke somewhere along the way and someone just yanked it instead of fixing.
DEA3DCCE-6C4E-4C41-B2BC-A3EC916CAB05.jpeg BAB3FE6E-A74F-4028-828B-EDAABA01E543.jpeg

182s we’re equipped with a wiring tape that allowed for the control wheel to be moved. The tape took the AP, mic, trim, and chart light wiring through the column. With age they get brittle and parts are not available to replace. Maybe this was a fix.

That picture is of a sixties vintage Cessna, my best guess. Before the ribbon cables were used I believe.

I always preach using a quality "curly cord" instead of replacing the "concealed wiring providing unrestricted movement of the yoke" that has been a pain in the keister for every Cessna owner at varying degrees depending on the vintage and model.

Digikey has the ribbon cable if you elect to replace it, they have the connectors as well.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cnc-tech/300-30-50-GR-0250F/CN236GR-250-ND/6235945

It is the wiring for the ejection seat. I wouldn't mess with it.

Back