C-177 Rudder Trim

pipelineflyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pipelineflyer
I'm looking for anyone knowledgeable about the rudder trim on Cessna Cardinals. We have several Cardinals in our fleet and on the 3 or so I've looked at the rudder trim does not seem either very effective or working. Turning the rudder trim in the cockpit from one extreme to the other I would expect to see the rudder move back and forth, but this is not the case.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm looking for anyone knowledgeable about the rudder trim on Cessna Cardinals. We have several Cardinals in our fleet and on the 3 or so I've looked at the rudder trim does not seem either very effective or working. Turning the rudder trim in the cockpit from one extreme to the other I would expect to see the rudder move back and forth, but this is not the case.

Any insight would be appreciated.

#1 The nose off the ground locks the nose wheel centered.

#2 The steering rod length is changed when using the trim wheel. That change in length is small but pushes or pulls against that nose wheel lock and spring in the bungee.

#3 You wont see a massive deflection ever. In fact the best way to set rudder trim is to bump the nose where you want it via rudder pedal then add trim and bump the pedals again. Friction in the system plays a roll. Weakness of the steering bungee can too. Those bungees are about $2k.

Last edited:
Back