C-172 transition to Dakota

Beachcomber

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Beachcomber
I have only about 90 hours, most of which is in a 172. I'm looking to purchase vs rent, any thoughts how difficult the transition would be going to a Dakota? I'm interested in this aircraft due to the useful load. Nothing like full fuel and filling four seats with something other than toddlers!

Biggest transition I can think of would be going from glass to steam, and of course, the speed. Maybe I'm over thinking it, and a few hours with a CFI would suffice. Or would this transition be better done after perhaps 200+ hours? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest difference will be how heavy it'll feel on the controls when compared to a 172.

I certainly don't think you need more overall hours, just some quality time with a CFI to get comfortable with the steam gauges, prop, and the overall feel of the plane. And a shiny new HP endorsement! :)

The Dakota will have a much heavier feel on the controls. Find a good CFI to give you a checkout,fly it a few times solo,then add a passenger at a time till you get used to the heavier aircraft. The Dakota is a great airplane ,if it fits your mission.

You won't have a problem at all. Easier to land. A few hours w/ your CFI and you should be good to go. Should be. Of course may take more but I don't it. Steam instruments will be familiar after a few hours.

Went through the same process myself when I bought a Dakota 2 years ago. Find a competent CFI to make sure you fly it well under light and heavy loads. You'll have to get used to and proficient with the constant speed prop and the power of the Dakota (vs. 172). Very stable/solid flying plane but heavier than 172 and faster. Approach speeds will be slightly faster and you won't have the same type of float when on ground effects. You'll appreciate the climb power (especially when flying in warm/hot weather and loaded). After about 15-20 hours flying it (not all CFI time) you'll feel quite comfortable with all the maneuvers and emergency procedures.

Interchangable

With 90hrs under your belt, I'd say a hour or so with a CFI.

The biggest difference will be engine management. You have the opportunity to do more damage to your engine if run incorrectly. I suggest you learn about that as opposed to anything else. It's going to command more of your attention.

As far as the flying goes, think of it as jumping from a compact car, to a truck, and then to a van - meaning they all drive the same way; they just have their own characteristics.

I did the same thing a couple years ago. biggest thing I noticed was the nose being heavy. trim on final. you will land flat, just keep practicing.

you'll love the payload and speed increase over a 172. I would flight plan about 132-135 ktas at about 6-9,000 on 11-13gph. with full fuel I did southern Michigan to NW ATL non-stop with plenty of reserve.

enjoy

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty excited about increasing my capabilities with this plane. Part of me was also concerned about an 'older' aircraft vs the convenience and technology of a newer plane, but a good pre-inspection and low to mid time on the engine, I should feel comfortable with an older plane. Thanks again, sounds like with a little time with a CFI and learning more about engine management should bring years of great flying ahead.

Should be an easy transition. As noted above, you'll notice the increased weight and noseheaviness (especially with only the front seats occupied). There's no "both" position in the fuel selector, so you'll get accustomed to switching tanks periodically; and there's an electric aux fuel pump that should be turned on for takeoff and landing.

Engine management is about as easy as it gets for a c/s prop. Max rpm is only 2400, so you could theoretically leave the blue lever full forward from startup to shutdown and not hurt anything.

Very easy transition. The flaps aren't as effective. Probably has electric trim - which is slow but handy. The Dakota has better ground handling in high winds. You'll miss having two doors.

The Dakota is a powerhouse compared to the 172.

You won't have a problem. The biggest thing will be the view you see looking out the window (high wing vs. low wing). Heavier controls as mentioned, and of course a higher HP engine with CS prop. Find a good CFI and the transition will be a breeze.

Just remember full throttle pull back, the house get smaller. throttle off push and the houses get bigger.

You will be fine once you get the c/s prop down and get use the weight. A few hours with a cfi and you'll be right at home... Think of it as if you're moving from you automatic car to a manual shift light truck...

Yeah agreed. A couple of hours with a CFI and a decent understanding of how it flies light and heavy, as well as understanding the C/S prop and needing a bit more right rudder at takeoff, and you'll be golden.

I neglected to have my CFI load up the 182 heavy heavy heavy and do at least one flight that way before I jumped into ours and while it wasn't anything dangerous when I finally did fly it loaded to the gills, it's different enough that it'd have been nice to have a more experienced person on board for that first takeoff and landing.

So pay attention to speeds closer when you finally stuff the thing to the ceiling with crap, work out your takeoff and landing numbers and think about what they mean and what you'll see out the window... (hmm, the 3,000' marker just went by and we aren't off the ground yet... but we still have plenty of runway and I bet it's going to climb real real slow...) and you'll be fine.

I've never flown a Dakota but didn't find an Archer or Arrow difficult after learning in a Cessna 150 & 172.

Dakota is like a big heavy Archer. Main issue is controlling the speeds on landing as it won't slow down as easy as an Archer or Warrior.

Hmmm, lots of comments from lots of folks who I'm guessing non-owners.

Heavy nose? I never thought so. Sensitive to pitch control? Yup, it has a big ol' stab and it has tremendous pitch authority compared to 172.

The rudder trim is nice so use it: Stable climb? Trim. Leveled out in cruise? Trim. The rudder trim is really just spring tension so just center the ball and screw the little knob to relieve the pressure on your foot.

It'll burn a lot of gas compared to a 172. Be prepared for that.

If the seats are full then be on book speed for landing. If seats are empty then it can float a bit if you are still using book speeds. Do not force it on the ground, keep the nose up and let it land as you normally would. Make sure the throttle is at idle for landing. Some guys try to cheat and use a little throttle to help hold the nose up. Don't do that. If you think the nose is heavy eat yer wheaties.

Eh trim is nice but hairy ain't bad either. We are talking about planes, right? :arf:

In the earlier days of the Cherokee, trim was focused up top. Then as time went on, trim moved down low. But I agree with you - when I learned to fly in the mid 90s there was waaaay too much emphasis on trim. People were going overboard with it. Fortunately there seems to be less emphasis these days.

Hmmm, lots of comments from lots of folks who I'm guessing non-owners.

Heavy nose? I never thought so. Sensitive to pitch control? Yup, it has a big ol' stab and it has tremendous pitch authority compared to 172.

The rudder trim is nice so use it: Stable climb? Trim. Leveled out in cruise? Trim. The rudder trim is really just spring tension so just center the ball and screw the little knob to relieve the pressure on your foot.

It'll burn a lot of gas compared to a 172. Be prepared for that.

If the seats are full then be on book speed for landing. If seats are empty then it can float a bit if you are still using book speeds. Do not force it on the ground, keep the nose up and let it land as you normally would. Make sure the throttle is at idle for landing. Some guys try to cheat and use a little throttle to help hold the nose up. Don't do that. If you think the nose is heavy eat yer wheaties.

Great perspective. Thank you. Exactly why as others have mentioned it'll be good to get a CFI and practice with several weight scenarios.

I learned in a 172, then flew several 182s after my PPL and at 175 hours bought a Dakota.

It will seem heavy - in the air and on the ground. Be careful taxiing at first. It takes a lot more rudder pressure to turn on the ground. There is also a solid bar above the rudder pedals so don't let your feet creep up too high or you'll go to hit the brakes and be pushing on a non-moveable bar. When flying, you can't chop the power like you can in a 172 or it will sink pretty fast. You also want to go easy on power changes with a bigger engine. Remember to turn the electric fuel pump on as part of the takeoff/landing checklist.

I have flown mine 200 hours and taken it from Reno to Cuba and back. I figure about 4-6 hours to get used to everything, 20 hours to be really comfortable and proficient and 50 hours for it to fit like a glove. My CFI says the 50 hour thing is his rule of thumb for any airplane and I think it was true for me. He has flown everything from a Cub to an Embraer 190.

It climbs great. I had it in Prescott, AZ (5000') on a 91F day at gross and was able to climb between 500-700fpm.

Yes, we are talking about airplanes... just not bush planes. Please do keep up.

Yeah that's what she said to me the other night. So we are talking about bush....oh bush planes. Like in Alaska. Think I'm wit you! :ihih::biggrin:

Yeah that's what she said to me the other night. So we are talking about bush....oh bush planes. Like in Alaska. Think I'm wit you! :ihih::biggrin:

You totally missed making a trim joke, too.

Just trying to help you get that second time-out! LOL.

Back