C-172-D

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
1966 Cessna 172, 4000 TT spent most of its life in a hangar in Reno Nv. Polished aircraft (needs elbow grease) very nice and shiny interior fuselage and wings. interior resent wool and leather upgrade, windows clear and nice, radios = junk, (newest is a KX125).has working transponder mod C. Engine is a 0-300-D with 850 SMOH, 12 on 6 new cylinders. compression check were all 77/78 over 80, OEM carb, & generator, newer Slick mags.
What should it sell for?

20, maybe. Don't know. What does the book say?
I couldn't find any other 172 of this vintage in this nice condition. and stumbled upon this one when I was asked to do a pre-buy.
Price of these seems to be what the buyer is willing to pay. This one looks to be a clean aircraft to build on.
I was thinking $25k
Just wonder what others believe?

Wrap around rear window, one piece front window, Johnson Bar flaps, O-300... the D is right in the sweet spot of that vintage of 172. The E got circuit breakers but who cares? Carry some spare fuses.

That'd be one honest little 172 to do some puttering around in, and about as cheap flying as it gets.

Polished is neither here nor there for me, and it means some more work, but I don't need much of an excuse to say I want to go do something at the hangar even if it's not actually flying. :)

I couldn't tell ya what it's supposed to cost these days but at $25K with new jugs and old radios, it wouldn't take much to fix the radio issue and make quite a little personal workhorse out of a D model. There are a lot of cars that sell for lots and lots more than that.

But folks get weirded out by shotgun panels and old stuff. They seek to forget it's an Skyhawk. It'll fly just as well or better than the fat heavy new ones. And the Johnson Bar is way better for flap actuation than anything Cessna ever came up with after those.

I have a couple of hours in an A model and I wouldn't hesitate to own any of those up through E.

F added the electric flaps and while not awful, that gets a "meh" from me in that vintage.

Someone should buy that thing and fly the hell out of it. It'll need some radio love and something to deal with ADS-B in a few years, or not... but you could go simple or fancy with that panel and it's still just a 172.

Based on your description I'd say $25K is in the ball park. It's going to need avionics work by 2020 anyway but with that low time on the O-300 and otherwise good shape it'll fly a long time...

sounds nice, how's the paint and interior?

edit oop didn't see that it was polished, lotta work keeping that up

Last edited:
If it's as nice as you say, I'd say it should be able to get 30 just fine. Any pics Tom?

Love my 172B. The O-300 is really smooth. It may not be a speedster, but it flies really nice, and I love the manual flaps. Mine has a standard panel setup, two digital flip flop radios, and is IFR approved. These things are pretty sweet. I burn <7 gph at 95kts. Since I bought they've gone up in value a bit like everything else. Asking $25k is probably not unreasonable and negotiate from there.

Wrap around rear window, one piece front window, Johnson Bar flaps, O-300... the D is right in the sweet spot of that vintage of 172. The E got circuit breakers but who cares? Carry some spare fuses.

That'd be one honest little 172 to do some puttering around in, and about as cheap flying as it gets.

Polished is neither here nor there for me, and it means some more work, but I don't need much of an excuse to say I want to go do something at the hangar even if it's not actually flying. :)

I couldn't tell ya what it's supposed to cost these days but at $25K with new jugs and old radios, it wouldn't take much to fix the radio issue and make quite a little personal workhorse out of a D model. There are a lot of cars that sell for lots and lots more than that.

But folks get weirded out by shotgun panels and old stuff. They seek to forget it's an Skyhawk. It'll fly just as well or better than the fat heavy new ones. And the Johnson Bar is way better for flap actuation than anything Cessna ever came up with after those.

I have a couple of hours in an A model and I wouldn't hesitate to own any of those up through E.

F added the electric flaps and while not awful, that gets a "meh" from me in that vintage.

Someone should buy that thing and fly the hell out of it. It'll need some radio love and something to deal with ADS-B in a few years, or not... but you could go simple or fancy with that panel and it's still just a 172.

Points....
some one did buy it. my new customers. ( it's a mentoring thing )
the 66 -D has breakers and electric flaps. :)
The deal with radios, they intend to replace the weird DG that spins like buzzsaw when you raise the nose. and pull all the junk radios and relocate the KX125 as the radio for now, and add my old NAX 11 stand alone VOR in the hole left from removing the KX 145, for training.
then later replace it all with 2020 requirements.

Points....
some one did buy it. my new customers. ( it's a mentoring thing )
the 66 -D has breakers and electric flaps. :)
The deal with radios, they intend to replace the weird DG that spins like buzzsaw when you raise the nose. and pull all the junk radios and relocate the KX125 as the radio for now, and add my old NAX 11 stand alone VOR in the hole left from removing the KX 145, for training.
then later replace it all with 2020 requirements.

Sounds like a plan. I didn't dig out my Cessna history books just Googled for the year the breakers were added. One of the online sites says it happened in the E model.

I'd fly it. Honest little airplane. The pre-A model straight tail that I have a couple of hours in was fun. Love the Johnson Bar.

Manufacturers try to make everything too complex these days. It's no wonder new ones push over the price of a house. You just don't need that stuff in a Skyhawk. Can learn to fly in that thing and build time and go all over the place for not much money overall.

Here is the 172-D in all its glory

Attachments

• 20161028_174008.jpg
    20161028_174008.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161028_173935.jpg
    20161028_173935.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161028_173857.jpg
    20161028_173857.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20161028_174025.jpg