C-172 Crash in Northern San Diego - One Dead, Two Survivors

thebruce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
the Bruce
Article here.

I know there are a lot of San Diego pilots on the board.

RIP.

Ya know...
There should be a flag when submitting a news story where it can be marked as "Fatality" or something and the ads are removed or possibly vetted for that story.

This is an unfortunate juxtaposition

Screenshot_20170213-145649.png

When I flew at the airline, we had a Brasilia crash in BQK due to the left prop going to flat pitch when they were in the base to final turn. Didn't have a chance to recover and killed everyone, including Sen Tower-TX and an astronaut. The Captains final check from the company to his widow had written in the "for" part of the check, termination. The family was po'd and the company caught hell for that. Sometimes people just don't think how the families are going to feel.

That's really unfortunate. I will be interested to see what the chain of events were that led up to the accident. Seems extra tragic the crash supposedly happened during practice engine out training.

Also, can we get a round of applause for the journalist who wrote this? It seemed very concise and wasn't packed full of errors us pilots and grammar nazis hate.

This is an unfortunate juxtaposition
I don't think the advertised company feels the same way you do.
Don't tell me the monkeys at Google did this by sheer unhappy coincidence.
Google AdSense is way to smart to leave anything to chance.

R.I.P. to the victim of the crash. Let's hope it wasn't just another pilot error.

Terrible news, but fortunate that 2/3 of souls aboard survived. I flew into Gillespie just a couple weeks ago.

no doubt we will soon have a good idea of the cause.

Very sad tragedy.

So sorry to hear. My brother in law lives in Ramona and I have visited there a lot. Very rough and mountainous countryside. I have often worried what it would be like to have an emergency there. RIP.

CFI and student up front, and apparently the deceased, sitting in the back seat) was a student pilot as well. http://www.10news.com/news/friends-identify-victim-of-plane-crash-near-ramona

The general area of the crash is referred to as the Northeast Practice Area, and I remember doing various maneuvers up there, but I don't remember doing simulated engine-outs without making sure we were over or near one of the various private strips. It's extremely inhospitable terrain. The two survivors were very lucky.

CFI and student up front, and apparently the deceased, sitting in the back seat) was a student pilot as well. http://www.10news.com/news/friends-identify-victim-of-plane-crash-near-ramona

The general area of the crash is referred to as the Northeast Practice Area, and I remember doing various maneuvers up there, but I don't remember doing simulated engine-outs without making sure we were over or near one of the various private strips. It's extremely inhospitable terrain. The two survivors were very lucky.

hmm...I wonder is possible no safety belt.

Wow. Very nose-down vertical impact. The girl who was killed was said to be speared by a tree that went transversely through the cabin. So sad.

Whenever I fly this route I'm always at 6500' to 7500', with plenty of altitude to glide to a valley, clearing or Hwy 76.

Nasty. More of vertical penetration then...probably pivoted after tree impact to nose-down. Very fortunate that anyone survived.

Back