C-17 drop

Was a loadmaster on c130s ,loved the air drops ,what a rush.

Neat, what do they do, circle back around and jump the guys in the same spot?

Neat, what do they do, circle back around and jump the guys in the same spot?

...they set the cruise control on the HMV so it meets the guys down the street.

HMMWV's aren't much of a load for that beast. I'm betting the CG change is negligible. I was surprised that the pallets rolled off the floor so smoothly. I remember fighting ISU-90's to get them into position to lock down on the floor. The cargo floor and associated automatic locking mechanism on the -17 is pretty awesome.

Why don't they hang a small drogue from it?

It's really not worth the effort in this case. It's just a simple tactical load. Complicating things was that we only loaded them to about 3,000 lbs. If it were heavier like a HMMWV or even a cement training block that weigh around 5,500 lbs, it wouldn't be spinning like this. You really can't feel the spinning anyway, just the fore / aft & side to side oscillation. I imagine the torsion isn't the best for the hook though.

Now aircraft being slung? A lot of times they attach a drogue to those. Then again, sometimes they don't.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It's really not worth the effort in this case. It's just a simple tactical load. Complicating things was that we only loaded them to about 3,000 lbs. If it were heavier like a HMMWV or even a cement training block that weigh around 5,500 lbs, it wouldn't be spinning like this. You really can't feel the spinning anyway, just the fore / aft & side to side oscillation. I imagine the torsion isn't the best for the hook though.

Now aircraft being slung? A lot of times they attach a drogue to those. Then again, sometimes they don't.

Too much effort? I guess the Army has to call the Navy in to tie a knot.:lol:;)

Too much effort? I guess the Army has to call the Navy in to tie a knot.:lol:;)

If you're talking slinging something not stable, expensive and long distance, then you would probably put a drogue on it. We were ferrying these these a short distance, picking up one after another. Just like the Navy VERTREP vid below.

Also, the load is certified by an inspection team. This usually isn't the aircrew since most aren't certified to inspect and certify a load. The person certifying the load will decide if a drogue is to be placed on it by FMs and appropriate regs. If it's not required, it's not going on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9qndT3j6ttQ

Back