C-150 problems

Welding in Canada, as I said, has become so regulated that sometimes one almost has to junk an airplane that needs extensive welding repairs. Tube-and-fabric stuff. (A new fabric job alone might mean scrapping the airplane due to the cost of it.)

So I can't weld a broken joint or replace a section of tube. But I can buy the plans for a homebuilt, weld up the whole thing including the engine mount and struts, fill it with people and go flying. Or I can register a busted-up old TriPacer in the Owner-Maintenance category and rebuilt that and fly it. Sigh. Common sense in law: where did it go?

Follow the money trail! ;)

Even with amateur built, not everyone can have at'er and weld away with out having enough skill and ability for their work to pass the required inspections before a flight authority is issued.

Even with amateur built, not everyone can have at'er and weld away with out having enough skill and ability for their work to pass the required inspections before a flight authority is issued.

At the risk of thread creep...

How rigorous are the inspections and standards for these activities in Canada? Down here in the US it seems like builders can get an airworthiness certificate for just about anything home built, if it kind of looks like an aircraft.

At the risk of thread creep...

How rigorous are the inspections and standards for these activities in Canada? Down here in the US it seems like builders can get an airworthiness certificate for just about anything home built, if it kind of looks like an aircraft.

Not overly familiar with amateur built. From what I have seen some are really nice, some not so much. The nice ones seem to be built by AME's.

Back