C-130 on a beach

It's still cool. We used to set up something like that in the Marines on Ie Shima island. Orange markers for reference on a 5,000 ft long crushed coral runway. Not that a C-130 needs 5,000 ft though. They were easily stopped in half the distance.

Last edited:
Neat. Might just be the perspective, but those HUD units seem like they would be awfully close to your face.

Love those c130 s ,one of the most dependable airplanes made,to say nothing about its versatility.

Is that a Garmin consumer GPS on top of the panel in front of the left seat?

Is that a Garmin consumer GPS on top of the panel in front of the left seat?

Hard to tell. Looks like a Gopro. Not that it's unusual though. I'd say most military transport aircraft have a VFR Garmin GPS mounted somewhere in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Is that unprepared sand just the way the tide eaves it? Surely it must be compacted or otherwise prepped in some fashion. Gross weight is probably somewhere between 100 to 155K lbs.

Is that unprepared sand just the way the tide eaves it? Surely it must be compacted or otherwise prepped in some fashion. Gross weight is probably somewhere between 100 to 155K lbs.

If the beach is very flat like that one and the sand stays a bit moist, it will be a hard enough surface for landings.

Tim

Hard to tell. Looks like a Gopro. Not that it's unusual though. I'd say most military transport aircraft have a VFR Garmin GPS mounted somewhere in the cockpit.

Definitely a GoPro. A lot of guys bring their own GPSs and ForeFlight for "Situational Awareness Only"

Definitely a GoPro. A lot of guys bring their own GPSs and ForeFlight for "Situational Awareness Only"

My old unit had 496s for every aircraft. I signed them out initially but after a while we had the AO memorized and didn't need a GPS. That and the fact the ACO wasn't updated to their databases made them impractical. Batteries sucked as well.

That has the potential to inspire a great beer commercial....

If I did not know any better, it looked like the guy offloaded was delivering a volleyball.

:)

My old unit had 496s for every aircraft. I signed them out initially but after a while we had the AO memorized and didn't need a GPS. That and the fact the ACO wasn't updated to their databases made them impractical. Batteries sucked as well.

My 296 battery went down today just as I was entering the SFO class B. :eek:
Fortunately, There were enough gaps in the undercast for me to stay oriented while I fumbled for the spare battery.

My 296 battery went down today just as I was entering the SFO class B. :eek:
Fortunately, There were enough gaps in the undercast for me to stay oriented while I fumbled for the spare battery.

Richard.. Does your plane not have a cigerette lighter in it ??:dunno:

Back