Bye Bye Hugesnet

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Removing myself from Hugesnet is complete.

The setup.

1. Wilson DB Pro Home Cell Phone Booster (No service -> 4 Bars).
2. iPhone 4s, iOS 7.04, Jailbroken MiWi 7 installed. (Have iPhone 5s too, but all we have is 3G coverage here, possible LTE tower being built down the road).
3. Grandfathered in Unlimited plan.
4. A $15.00 WRT54GL v1.1, that I installed DD-WRT on. Configured as a Repeater Bridged.

The MOST I could get for download speed on hugesnet was ~20 kb/s (usually around 15 kb/s, when/if it even worked… and the latency is very noticeable)

Currently seeing very low latency (relatively speaking). and 60 kb/s + download speed. Proof Attached!

But the biggest plus is…. Hughesnet can kiss my ass, paying my last bill on 1/18/2014 and DONE with them.

Any DD-WRT Experts around here? Wondering if I have the repeater setup correctly.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NotBat.jpg
    NotBat.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 159
Removing myself from Hughesnet is complete.
[snip]
But the biggest plus is…. Hughesnet can kiss my ass, paying my last bill on 1/18/2014 and DONE with them.

Is been exactly a year since I did the same. Over the course of five years I dealt with both Hughesnet and Wild Blue. Both are bottom feeders with zero customer service. They both sell more excuses than anything else and there is a special place in hell for each of those companies.

Verizon erected a 4G tower that looks right down my valley and I'm regularly seeing 15 to 30 Mbps downloads.

:thumbsup:

I'm not a DD-WRT expert. I have 3 DD-WRT boxes installed in my house because I didn't want to wire everything. If it is working and you're getting good throughput you probably set it up correctly ;)

Living on this nice island of Georgetown since June 2007 has been interesting. There's no cable service. Back on the mainland I had broadband cable service which was good for handling the transmittal of my LARGE photo files. Until such time that I were to sell my mainland house I kept the PC running there. What to do on the island! Neighbors told me dial-up was so slow, get satellite which will be faster. I opted for Hughesnet; not bad, it seemed, so I moved the studio PC to Georgetown.

I set 73 new photo files to upload to my website HQ in California, and hit the Send button.
Surprise! It took more than THREE DAYS(24/7) to complete; fortunate that there was no power outage while uploading. "India" said I should do such uploading between 1:00 and 6:00 in the mornings. That wasn't much better.

DSL had been started by Verizon, to reach into parts of the island. I was just a few feet beyond the maximum distance from the nearest box. "Sorry!" Then Verizon sold the landline business to Fairpoint Communications who, w/in a year filed Chapter 11. Finally, they worked out their problem$ - still poor service - and began to extend the DSL service Verizon had started. My house qualified. GOOD RIDDANCE to HughesNet! It's been a couple years; DSL not as fast as the mainland Comcast broadband, but Fairpoint claims that, "At some point we'll be upgrading YOUR region. We're presently doing Bath."
Bath is eight miles from my house but "You live in Georgetown. To install cable to an area we have to have 1000 subscribers." (Georgetown population is 1100.) But at least, HughesNet is gone!

Back