By the time I get to Phoenix (in my 172)

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Just got back from another round trip to Phoenix. This is probably the last round trip before we move down there permanently in January. I already have the hangar rented at KGYR (thankfully, as you'll see later), and I'll take the airplane down there for keeps after its annual later this fall.

But this was a good trip, taking care of a lot of business and family stuff, and fun too. Flying in the desert southwest in late July and August does present challenges, and this trip was no exception. Fortunately there was flexibility in my schedule, and when I did fly, it was stress-free.

Departure from Vancouver was through the Columbia Gorge, with a 4,000-foot ceiling and some scattered clouds below, but safe and comfortable. The Gorge has many moods. This one seemed dismal, but with an inviting light at the end of the "tunnel":

IMG_2758_HDR_800_zps9pxw76ck.jpg

After a fuel stop at Burns, Oregon, I took off southeastbound over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge headquarters buildings where the survivalist crazies held their standoff against the FBI a few months back:

IMG_2784_HDR_800_zpstzelg8cz.jpg

I'd flown over spectacular St. George, Utah, many times, but this was the first time I'd landed at the new airport. It had been bumpy for the last couple hundred miles, so after six hours of flying this day I decided to overnight at St. George. Mistake. Most hotels in town were booked because of the holiday (What, you've never heard of "Pioneer Day"?!). The one hotel I found with a vacancy did not have an airport shuttle. It's a $35 cab ride between the airport and town. Each way. :mad: Pretty town, though, and nice people.

IMG_2817_HDR_800_zpsrey2xuid.jpg

IMG_2825_HDR_800_zpsprghecg9.jpg

Next morning it was a smooth two hours to KGYR. Unfortunately smoke from a nearby wildfire marred the view of the Grand Canyon.

IMG_2836_HDR_800_zpskqdlfk8j.jpg

On arrival at KGYR the airplane was introduced to its new home.

IMG_2861_HDR_800_zpspegccbkv.jpg

I'm glad it was indoors during my stay, because a couple of nights later one of those damaging monster thunder/rain/dust storm things blew through. Yep, it's monsoon season in Arizona.

IMG_2865_HDR_800_zpsn6qxizjr.jpg

It was still monsoon season Friday morning when I had planned to leave for the return trip. The forecast called for only high scattered clouds, but this is what greeted me at the airport, punctuated by occasional lightning. :eek: I'm such a wuss; I canceled until the next day. It rained like crazy all morning.

iPhone_GYR_16072300085_HDR_800_zpsflwaxipr.jpg

The 7.9-hour, three-stop trip back to Vancouver on Saturday was uneventful. There's a lot of desolate country as one flies the length of Nevada's western border from Arizona to Oregon. The last fuel stop was Roseburg, Oregon. For some reason a swarm of hornets found something attractive about the self-serve fuel island. Though it was a hot day, I kept the airplane's doors and windows closed while I fueled; I wanted no passengers aboard on the last leg home. :yikes: Somehow I managed to fuel the airplane without getting stung, so I high-tailed it on home.

iPhone_GYR_16072300095_HDR_800_zpsnxc6k8kq.jpg

Hey Pilawt,
Welcome to AZ. Great pictures!! January will be a perfect time to arrive. Good job on getting the Hangar at KGYR. I just got on the waiting list last week, I'm currently in 8th. For now I'm paying an exorbitant hangar rental at Glendale airport until my spot opens up at Goodyear. Maybe 4 or 5 months I hear. We'll have to get some flights in when you arrive.
good lookin' plane.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you.

I think I was on the GYR waiting list about five months, maybe a little less. The list on the website still said I was #6 when I got the phone call. It was sooner that I expected, but under the circumstances it worked out well. I'm impressed with the facility and amenities. The airport staff have been very helpful.

Yeah, I've spent just a short time over there and everything seemed in good order. Everyone was nice.
So about the area, there is quite a bit of flight training going on. In addition to students from your airport you've got students from Glendale airport which is right next door. There is also a popular VOR station as you head south. Finally you have Luke Air Force base and relate training traffic nearby. It requires a call to Luke approach to get through their airspace and surrounding area. It's a pretty smooth transaction, just more annoying than anything since you've just taken off and started your climb.
All of the controllers are great. I've never had an issue with any of the surrounding airport towers.

Great photos, that's some beautiful country out that way!

Thanks for taking us along, Pilawt. Great photos.

Your hangar looks like mine. Apart from the airplane, pretty much empty. I just moved into my hangar in June. It has been so hot here that I have not been able to motivate myself to get my workbench built.

I really enjoyed the pictures and your write-up. Nice photography.

Nice write-up and pics. 'Did a similar trip (Phoenix,burns,ellensburg) in mid-sept and it was a great fight. Came back through Boise, SLC, Page with a nice tailwind. 'Hope to get together sometime this Winter, for some great flying.

Everyone should at least try one desert trip using ONLY dead reckoning and pilotage.

It does enhance the awareness, and possibly the abilities.

Nice pictures, thanks. And welcome to Arizona, but you should move to Tucson instead of PHX. ;)

Yeah, you might wanna go to Tucson. All the action is up in Phoenix, you don't wanna be inconvenienced with so many things to do.:D

Back