By far - the worst day of my life

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
OK - so last night, my niece, a beautiful five year old little girl, started complaining of neck and back pain, and it was excruciating.

My sister and her husband took her to the hospital, where it was revealed that she has an abnormal white blood cell count. She started developing a severe fever (106 I believe), and she was scared. Today, we learned that she has Leukemia.

She has now gone through many blood tests, and they were unable to determine which kind of Leukemia she has - its either Precursor B ALL (I forget what it stands for) - which is the good, usually curable kind, or she as another kind (can't remember the name). She had a bone marrow biopsy done today and because of the holiday weekend, we won't have the results until Tuesday morning.

Either way, it looks like she's going to have to go through Chemotherapy. My poor little niece, who is such a good girl, has to lose her hair and experience the worst possible medication that any person can go through.

She's such a champ, though....she's been a part of the whole discussion about her ailments with the doctors and everything, and she doesn't let it phase her (she may not know what we're talking about tho).

To avoid making an ass of myself with poorly written or argumentative responses to well drawn out arguments on the board, I will only be lurking for a while. I thought I'd let y'all know why.

Nick,

Sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and your family.

bill

NickDBrennan said:
OK - so last night, my niece, a beautiful five year old little girl, started complaining of neck and back pain, and it was excruciating.
Today, we learned that she has Leukemia.

I will only be lurking for a while. I thought I'd let y'all know why.
Nick, I'm so sorry to hear this. You and your family are in for some tough times.

Keep us posted, and hang around with us (your friends and "family" here) when you have the time and inclination.

Nick, first, my best wishes to your niece, you, and the entire family.

Second, I don't know where your niece might be, nor how far away the care might force the family to travel, nor what the family's situation might be, but keep Angel Flight in mind if your niece should require long term care transportation. Take comfort in the fact that you have a lot of friends who would be happy to volunteer if the situation requires it.

Nick, that's sad news. It sounds like she has a very supportive family, and the fact that she's been a part of the discussions so far is a good thing. That will make a difference. Let us know how it goes.

That's terrible. Hope she's OK.

Nick, your neice and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I hope you'll let us know how her case progresses.

Nick, that just breaks my heart. Please keep us posted on her progress. We are here for you.

Many of us have children in our lives and are hurting for you right now. Hold your niece close and let her know you love her.

Thanks for letting us know Nick. It makes one count their blessings and realize how much good health means to us and those we love. Glad she's taking it well and you're there for her.

Dave
Baron 322KS

Nick, I'm glad you shared this with your "extended family"... please know we all are hurting with you. It's especially tough to see little innocent kids suffer through this kind of stuff, but remember too that their youthful vigor and positive attitude goes a LONG way towards a successful recovery, and I have no doubt she'll accomplish just that, especially with supportive, caring uncles like you rooting her on.

Nick, my little great- nephew, Ryan, came down with that dreaded disease at age five. What a shock! He went through it all, the chemo, a Pacemaker stuck into his little chest. Thank God for St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis as his parents could never have been able to withstand the expense. They must have done a great job for Ryan is now ten and appears to have beat it. Your dear little niece, too, will beat it, Nick, with todays advanced medical wonders. I know of at least one instance where a pilot from that wonderful volunteer organization, Angel Flight, came to his aid and flew him to St Judes from Georgia when he suddenly developed a serious relapse. Two great organizations that should be near the top of all charity lists. Our prayers are with that dear little girl.

NickDBrennan said:

My sister and her husband took her to the hospital, where it was revealed that she has an abnormal white blood cell count. She started developing a severe fever (106 I believe), and she was scared. Today, we learned that she has Leukemia.

She has now gone through many blood tests, and they were unable to determine which kind of Leukemia she has - its either Precursor B ALL (I forget what it stands for) - which is the good, usually curable kind, or she as another kind (can't remember the name). She had a bone marrow biopsy done today and because of the holiday weekend, we won't have the results until Tuesday morning.

Either way, it looks like she's going to have to go through Chemotherapy. My poor little niece, who is such a good girl, has to lose her hair and experience the worst possible medication that any person can go through.

She's such a champ, though....she's been a part of the whole discussion about her ailments with the doctors and everything, and she doesn't let it phase her (she may not know what we're talking about tho).

To avoid making an ass of myself with poorly written or argumentative responses to well drawn out arguments on the board, I will only be lurking for a while. I thought I'd let y'all know why.

Sure makes my trivial problems seen small, our Prayers go with you.

Her youthful vigor and spirit combined with continuing scientific advances will help see her through this horrible thing safely and give more strength to all. Be careful and take care of yourself.

Nick, you and your family are in our prayers for comfort and strength, and for a speedy recovery for your niece.

Nick,
I can't express my sorrow for you any better than what has been said already. But I wish you all good luck and wish your neice good attitude. I really feel it plays an important part in the immune system and healing.

Barb

Nick,
I am very sorry to hear, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Nick,

I had a day like that two years ago this coming week except it was a 14 year old son with a brain tumor. I felt nothing but sadness and dread.

Today, he's finishing up the second of a five week program for high achieving incoming high school seniors at a college in Louisville.

Both he and I are better for it. I pray and expect that your niece's illness will end as well.

Alan

Hey Brennan,

I am really sorry to hear about your niece. She sounds as if she is a strong little girl. Most the time, the kids are stronger than the adults. :) If you need anything, you can always count on your friends here at POA.

Have you taken her flying yet? When she gets better and if your sister will let you, maybe you can take her flying and take her mind off of things for a little while.

Take your left arm put it over your right shoulder, then take the right arm and put if over your left shoulder. Squeeze tightly. Wish I could give you a hug in person, sounds like you need one right about now.

Take care,

Brook

A tough road in front of ya'll. Let me just add that St Jude's is a wonderful place & saved one of my family members. Good luck to all.

Ww

Completely different kind of cancer but I was three when I was diagnosed, I'm 43 now. Keep fighting. There is a lot you can do for the family

I'm sorry to hear this, Nick. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Nick, my prayers for your neice. Her youthful positive attitude is on her side and will help her fight this. We'll all hope for the best possible outcome! Great she has a strong uncle like yourself to help her defeat her fears.

what a cruel blow! So very sorry to hear that but with all of the prayers being said for her...I am confident that she will pull thru just fine!
She and your family will be in my prayers.

Nick, friends of ours have a daughter who was diagnosed with the "bad" kind of leukemia in 1996 -- and she recently celebrated her 15th birthday. We all firmly believe that the spiritual life forces of her extended family -- in the form of prayers and good wishes -- and the amazingly talented and dedicated nurses and doctors who cared for her and her family -- all contributed to carrying her through her journey. Your niece has that support too, and she will prevail.
Elizabeth

Nick,
You didn't tell us your niece's name, but she goes on our prayer list anyway.

Makes my reciently diagnosed diabetes, and the decision as to whether to try for the SI and to continue my lessons seem trival buy comparison.

All our best to you and the family!

If you need anything in the Northeast, do not hesitate to email me. My daughter just turned 6. Enough said.

God bless you all.

Jim G

Nick your neice will be in my prayers. As a few others have said just keep up the fight. The fact that your neice is young is acutally a plus for her as it relates to Lukemia. Although the fight may be a tough one it is winable. One of my client's managers who is in her mid 30s fought and won childhood lukemia. Advances in science and medicine are litterally made every day.

I was fortuante enough to be able to help a little eight year old girl with lukemia almost two years ago by being a bone marrow donor. It has been a slow recovery but now almost two years later she is getting better by the day. The battle CAN be won. We also are involved with the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society here in Pennsylvania. Keep busy, get involved with the Lukemia and Lymphoma Scociety and fight like hell to beat this damn disease. We are with you and your neice.

First off - thank you all for your prayers and support. I am not really trying to soak up a bunch of attention here, I just need a place to vent about this. My family doesn't really communicate, and frankly, person to person, neither do I.

Ok - its been a super long weekend for me, but I thought that since you all sent your prayers, I'd give y'all an update.

The national lab is taking forever to determing if this is Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL), or Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). ALL is supposedly the type with the best results, while AML doesn't have very good results.

The doctor said that most of the cells appear to be ALL cells, but there are a few tags or markers that would indicate that AML may be present. The doctor feels pretty confident that it is ALL, though. We were supposed to get the results of the bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday, but they said they need to culture the specimen further, so we wouldn't know until today. Today they said the same thing, we'll know tomorrow. They won't start the Chemotherapy until they know what kind of Leukemia she has.

Yesterday, Erin had her Port-A-Cath installed, which is the tube that they use to give her the Chemo. It was a serious surgery in which they fished a tube down her Jugular, and left an opening on her side. The good thing about this is that she doesn't need the IV anymore, as they are doing all of that stuff through the port. She can now move her arm, and that is causing her less discomfort.

She seems to be more agitated now. I don't know if its necessarily fear as much as boredom (although I'm sure fear is part of it). She's being a champ tho - she punched one of the nurses in the face when coming out of anesthesia after the port was installed. I guess its common for people to come out of it swinging, but usually the nurses say they don't make contact. The nurse had a bloody nose and had to go home for the day. At least a little bit of funny in the midst of the bad stuff.

I hope that we get the results tomorrow, and if we do, I hope that means that she'll start the Chemotherapy tomorrow as well. I know its gonna be really tough on her, but the sooner she starts it, the sooner she'll be done with it, I guess.

Once again, thank you all for the support.

Sweetie, that girl will kick cancer's butt!

Keep in mind, chemo is cumulative.... a few months down the road, when you've adjusted to the concept of her being on chemo, is just when she'll be worn down to the quick. That's when you'll expecially need to rally around her and give her even more (if that's even possible) encouragement and support than you're already giving her.

What about radiation for her? Radiation, although not the first defense, is an even better defense than chemo.... imho, it does serious damage to cancer cells.... although please take any opinions of mine with a grain of salt. My experience is with bc, not leukenmia. Different cancers, different treatments..... however, please feel free to email me. I'm a Stage 4 survivor. It can be done. Take heart. I understand. You'd do better if it was you diagnosed, not her. You feel helpless. I understand.

xoxoxo
Moxie

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

I've seen leukemia up close. I developed a chromosome imaging system called PowerGene MFISH, which was employed in a number of cancer research labs. It allowed rapid and postivie identification of chomosomal translocations, which are hallmarks of particular types of cancer. I've been a visitor in many oncology labs around the world. Don't know if any of this helps your niece, but the fight goes on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back