buzzing the tower

Wow. How's he get around the "not closer than xxx feet from any structure" rule??

As the controller said "He's a madman" and a bad example. Had something gone wrong, there'd be at least 3 dead people involved :(

I don't know the whole story, but this pass by a Red Bull racer seems to have been approved by the tower, so I'm not sure if any regs were broken.

As for the wisdom of doing it: these guys spend more time making high-speed knife-edge close passes at things than most of us spend doing any type of flying, so... it doesn't bother me, and wouldn't if I were in the tower.
But on the other hand, there's a reason there are never people on those Red Bull pylon platforms during the races...:D

FWIW, I've been in the pattern when these guys are practicing or just flying normal ops to and from the race box (I was lucky enough to be learning to fly the Champ at Brown when they were staging from there last year), and I've never seen or heard any crazy antics, approved or otherwise.

Life's short and then you die. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
:blueplane:

Which is crazier? Rounding a fancy-shmancy telephone pole at 300 mph, with five other guys trying to round it before you, or rounding a great big ol' control tower by yourself? :loco:

I guess I am more at home low and slow :yesnod:

Back