Buzzed by an Owl

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
A little while ago, I heard an owl outside of our suburban Atlanta house. OK, I wasn't sure it was an owl, but really sounded like one, and it sounded nearby - maybe in our front yard. So I killed most of the lights in the house and quietly stepped outside to try and figure out where it was. Everything was silent - the owl wasn't hooting any longer. And then it glided silently by me, about 10' away - I saw its silhouette against the sky. Very cool...

A little while ago, I heard an owl outside of our suburban Atlanta house. OK, I wasn't sure it was an owl, but really sounded like one, and it sounded nearby - maybe in our front yard. So I killed most of the lights in the house and quietly stepped outside to try and figure out where it was. Everything was silent - the owl wasn't hooting any longer. And then it glided silently by me, about 10' away - I saw its silhouette against the sky. Very cool...
Wouldn’t that be “silented” by an owl? ;)
Very cool, btw.

Owls are very cool creatures. We have a lot of owls and hawks in our area. I love watching them stand on power lines and then swoop down toward a meal when they find one.

Here is a great video demonstrating their abilities.

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are hunting machines, with eyes and ears working seamlessly in tandem. The ears are positioned at different heights on the head. The pits around the eyes are angled differently to channel sound waves to the differentially positioned ears.

8FC731B9-2B74-4EC2-A5E3-235B7741F88B.jpeg Haven’t seen a owl in years until just a few days ago in the backyard. I believe it’s a Barred Owl???

OH, I thought this story was about flying a BE19/20/23/24

Reactions: Ted
Two different species, Barred and Great Horned, about our home:

CDA65746-AF71-442E-84BF-2C17B792E3B0.jpeg 2306A605-36DD-445B-9B49-BF982D2E43DE.jpeg

One of my favorite videos

I want an owl, but I also want a penguin. oh, and I want fainting goats too. man I'd have the coolest zoo ever.

<7500>
</7500>

Fainting goats.....just another way to make light of the neurologically impaired.
More seizure-like than fainting.

I’ve never really thought of owls as birds of prey, but they really seem to be some of the best.

Fainting goats.....just another way to make light of the neurologically impaired.
More seizure-like than fainting.

impaired? no way! that's like, a superpower or something. WE'RE the ones who are impaired.....imagine if we could do that...….someone breaks into your house and all you have to do is yell BOO at the top of your lungs and DOWN FOR THE COUNT they go! of course, there might be a few other uses for it that shall go undiscussed here, but man, it's got potential!

We’ve got at least 3 barred owls around our street, one lives at the top of one of our oak trees in a hollow. We love to listed to them hoot and cackle back and forth most nights. My daughter and I would walk from tree to tree watching the owl spot us and then move a tree or two down when we got underneath. Truly awesome birds.

Back