Buying used avionics

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
I'm looking at buying some used avionics from another owner on the field, but he doesn't have any yellow tags or 8130. Would this be a deal breaker or are they not required? Thanks

I'm looking at buying some used avionics from another owner on the field, but he doesn't have any yellow tags or 8130. Would this be a deal breaker or are they not required? Thanks

Yellow tags and 8130-3's are essentially the same as a log entry or maintenance release for the part. They are not a guarantee of airworthiness. After any radio install or replacement the shop should be doing a functional test/calibration to ensure everything is working correctly ie verifying airworthiness.

Salvage parts that are not life limited and have no AD's against them don't really need anything. The shop performing the work however may have policies requiring something.

There have been a rash of stolen radios lately...

on the field is perfect. You can power them up and see if they work before writing the check.

If I buy the used avionics and take it to an avionics shop without a yellow tag, is it possible that they could refuse service to put them in? Its going for a great price, almost too good, but I am nervous about the fact that they dont have the documents to go with it

you're sort of missing the point of saving money on used boxes

put them in yourself under the supervision of a local A&P. But if it's an IFR gps, you will indeed need to go to a facility that can certify it, so work that out ahead of time.

If I buy the used avionics and take it to an avionics shop without a yellow tag, is it possible that they could refuse service to put them in? Its going for a great price, almost too good, but I am nervous about the fact that they dont have the documents to go with it

Call the shop you want to use and ask them. If they say no then call another one.

Its going into a Piper Saratoga, and from what I was told, I have to take it to an avionics shop since its a certified aircraft. The equiptment in question is a GNS530W and a GNS430W

you're sort of missing the point of saving money on used boxes

put them in yourself under the supervision of a local A&P. But if it's an IFR gps, you will indeed need to go to a facility that can certify it, so work that out ahead of time.

Jeff is right, you can save money this way. Some avionics take special equipment to return to service, which an avionics shop can be contracted to do them. (think transponder, encoder etc)

Its going into a Piper Saratoga, and from what I was told, I have to take it to an avionics shop since its a certified aircraft. The equiptment in question is a GNS530W and a GNS430W

I would blanket email requests for quotes to avionics shops, describing in detail which avionics you want removed and installed and the airplane in question, and be sure you inform them you want to provide serviceable radios (hopefully they include racks) I think those radio racks are out of production.

Someone else here may have a better idea.

You can always call the shop and ask about its policies.

Back